What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed an outbreak of this in my 40 gallon saltwater tank. the tank is only 2 weeks old. I have used the dead shrimp test, fish food test, and now have a fish in it. All test had the same result; ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. I have 5 cortez hermit crabs, 3 nassarius snails, and 3 astrea snails.

What is this? How can I keep it from forming?

I will post pictures

45067-albums2286-picture14988.jpg
45067-albums2286-picture14987.jpg
45067-albums2286-picture14986.jpg
45067-albums2286-picture14985.jpg
45067-albums2286-picture14984.jpg
45067-albums2286-picture14983.jpg

I know you said that you will post pics, but can you give us a description? Color, where it's growing, texture, etc?

You must have been posting as I was replying. Looks to be both diatoms and hair algae to me. How long are your lights on each day, and how long has your tank been set up?

You must have been posting as I was replying. Looks to be both diatoms and hair algae to me. How long are your lights on each day, and how long has your tank been set up?

The lights are on about 12 hours a day. It has been set up for 2 weeks. (see original post for details)

You need to leave the dead shrimp in the tank for like a week or so to get ammonia readings. :)

Once you cycle then the ammonia will DROP to 0 not just be 0.

I left the dead shrimp for 3 days and it disappeared.
I only test the water every few days.

I had diatoms in my tank too, about 4 weeks after I started cycling it. And then they went away on their own. Too much "food" in their for them to thrive.

Your phosphates could be alittle high right now. And the tank probably isn't completely cycled.

Back
Top Bottom