What is this growing with my coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddy-o

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 part question...

1st Q: I bought this coral 2 weeks ago, but of course cannot remember the name.

2nd Q: what is the thing growing on the base? Not a great picture with my phone, but hopefully you can see it.

Attachments

• image-1724875376.jpg
    image-1724875376.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 121
Daddy-o said:
2 part question...

2nd Q: what is the thing growing on the base? Not a great picture with my phone, but hopefully you can see it.

Looks like a trumpet coral and that is definite aiptasia. A pest anemone. Can get out of hand. Peppermint shrimp will eat it.

Daddy-o said:
2 part question...

Yep trumpet coral, often called candy canes. The thing growing is indeed an aiptasia. I highly suggest killing it before it eventually kills your coral. Aiptasia is a pest anemone, they are very hardy and reproduce quickly, also they will sting nearby coral and be very irritating.

Ya pull that frag and kill thay anemone. Lemmon juice injection ot boiling water are 2 options or apastia-x from thefish store.

Just get a couple of peppermint shrimp and they will keep them at bay. But that aptasia is so close I would treat that one directly with the previous options. But the shrimp due serve their purpose

Thanks everyone. Applied the treatment last night and I do not see any today.

Dies the coral look healthy? How long does it take for new growth?

Idk I'm still testing that myself. I put a peppermint in my tank two weeks ago, over night he took down the biggest one I had and then wiped out the other two sometime there after. It seems like the peppermint keeps them at bay. I'm glad it's working out for u good luck

Daddy-o said:
Thanks everyone. Applied the treatment last night and I do not see any today.

Dies the coral look healthy? How long does it take for new growth?

The coral looks fine for the most part. Ideally the polyps would be open and extended however. Or they may open more at night depending.

Also growth rate is slower for LPS like the trumpet you have but mine seems to split regularly a few times a month maybe just depends on how many heads etc. feeding them when tentacles are out every so often with speed up growth, just dont overdue it.

Back
Top Bottom