What is this weird thing??? lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogeymc6

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452630909.090214.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452630923.679055.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452630939.970059.jpg

What are these? Are they any good? I'm still in my cycle stage of my tank! I guess they like my new light lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know your answer but id be careful about using acronyms like that here. It's meant to be a friendly environment for all ages and the mods could ban you.. No judgement just a heads up

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Vermitid snail or feather dusters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can, please get a better color picture. I want to say vermetid snails too but it's kinda hard to tell. If they are vermetid snails then you could potentially run into some problems down the road...but you could also be fine. They are filter feeders and depending on who you ask they are fine. BUT some people believe they are the plague and regret ever letting any survive because they can completely take over. If you maintain your tank well and keep nutrients down they probably won't overrun it. They are also a problem because they can irritate corals in a number of ways one of the worst is because they will settle in on the corals themselves.

Those are vermetid snails. Kill them. Break the tubes or glue the tubes shut. The webs cover everything and irritate corals. I had such a bad outbreak in my tank at one point I lost corals from the webbing.

If you can, please get a better color picture. I want to say vermetid snails too but it's kinda hard to tell. If they are vermetid snails then you could potentially run into some problems down the road...but you could also be fine. They are filter feeders and depending on who you ask they are fine. BUT some people believe they are the plague and regret ever letting any survive because they can completely take over. If you maintain your tank well and keep nutrients down they probably won't overrun it. They are also a problem because they can irritate corals in a number of ways one of the worst is because they will settle in on the corals themselves.

Thanks man how can I remove them

Well I take the rocks and coral frags out of the water and put a dab of super glue gel on the end of the snail tube. I don't have many (crossing my fingers here) so it's not really a big deal for me. But this is also pretty ugly...

If Hank says you can crush them then I'd try that! It may be easier to do if you can just stick some kind of strong hand held tool like pliers in the tank and get them that way. I've heard people say the tube hurts if you go to pick up a rock and end up putting your finger down on one so be careful.

You can just snap them with your fingers. The ones I had were massive and it wasn't a problem. If your fish take interest in the free food, they'll be done for. If not they can repair and survive. Doesn't work for everyone.

Does anyone no why I'm getting them?

Back
Top Bottom