What kind of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomasflynnwa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG_3249.jpg I’m stuck on either Dino or GHA I just don’t understand why GHA would be brown

I tested phosphates, but they kept reading low b/c the hair algae used them up. I used phosphateRx and put a sea hare in to clean up. I’m monitoring to make sure they don’t go up, but my tank is spotless for now. I’ve also started dosing vibrant

Just a thought, I know nothing about salt water but I have a planted tank and I use the green killing machine (a UV sterilizer) and it will keep your tank 100% free of algae. 1000%. It's amazing. The idiot at the lfs tried telling me I didn't need it be ause they're for salt water only LOL algae is for all water. I had a severe problem cleared completely up (at least visibly) in less than 1 week. Kept it in and algae never came back. Good luck.

UV sterilizers just don't work in our end of things sadly. Not enough of the water column passes through them. We use algae turf scrubbers to use algae to fight algae with great results.

Ahhh!! This makes my trip to the lfs even more hilarious! Hahahaha the guy was trying to talk me out of it and said it was salt water only. I saw videos of this thing in motion and never were they in a salt water tank. Have you heard of The Green Killing Machine?

Green killing machine is a proven piece of equipment but with that said.

1. Check par check duration more blue less white
2. Increase flow.
3. Increase CUC
4. Increase nutrient export. Larger WC
5. Manual removal
6. Research vibrant

So, to satisfy the freshwater members in this thread, yes the GKM's work very well in freshwater applications.
Increasing the flow and nutrient export is a major part of solving algae issues in our closed systems. It will remove the built up gunk in dead spots that is decomposing. Large water changes with ro/di water, which is very important in saltwater compared to freshwater, is a great way of solving algae issues in our closed systems. It is very easy to do in our smaller systems and can be used as a way of avoiding purchase of expensive equipment to export nutrients...if only saltwater had those moss balls like freshwater does!
A clean up crew is an important part of our closed systems. Even though important, they aren't a solution to major algae issues as what is in the water column will still be there...so water changes!
As for vibrant, there is no need to dose anything in this hobby that isn't needed. I won't suggest dosing anything into your tank that you can not test for. Such products will also interfere with protein skimmers working effectively, if at all.
But with that said, looking at the picture this algae 'issue' isn't all over the tank. It is contained in a small area, possibly from it being introduced with the zoe frag. It is possible that you can remove the frag and simply scrub the algae away...but if there are excess nutrients in the water column the algae will simply return and continue to grow.
Hope this helps with your issue!

Sniperhank why all the antimosity to anything I've ever said for years on this forum. I'm not here to steal your thunder. You can be the hero. Many ways to run a tank. I'm not one to dose anything but I must admit it's an incredible product. Much safer than chemi clean. Anyways your the expert right.

Last edited by a moderator:
This forum is the least rude out of the half dozen I have been on. It's why I'm here anyways. On other sites I've seen posts pulled nearly daily for the outrageous reactions/comments to people's problems.

King Fisher your right most are. I thought I'd try it here again. There's some good folks here.

Good evening.
Sorry you view my experiences as hostility. This is simply info for the OP. Adding these products cause issues in our systems, especially with skimmers like I said. Even chemi clean, which recommends turning off skimmers while using.
But with that said, I'll use this as an opportunity to remind us all about keeping it on topic for the OP's benefit. This is all simply information for the OP after all.

Vibrant works.. try it if you want. It's a product on the market and you can spend your money on it. Worked for me!

Vibrant works.. try it if you want. It's a product on the market and you can spend your money on it. Worked for me!

I looked it up, thought interesting but scanty details on what’s in it on the links I saw (could be an Australian thing so shops are not seen stocking anything naughty). Seen much on ingredients / how it works out of interest?

I looked it up, thought interesting but scanty details on what’s in it on the links I saw (could be an Australian thing so shops are not seen stocking anything naughty). Seen much on ingredients / how it works out of interest?
They're not going to list all the magic ingredients in a product sold for $25 a bottle silly.... its vinegar. Vodka/vinegar dosing will achieve the same desired outcome. I switched to vinegar. Still a bunch of vibrant if anyone wants it;)

I listed it last as just that a last resort. It works. There is a large thread on the top reef site. It got me through the ugly stage nicely. Supposed to have a strain of bacteria in it. Whatever is in it has helped 1000s get through various algae. Anyways...

They're not going to list all the magic ingredients in a product sold for $25 a bottle silly.... its vinegar. Vodka/vinegar dosing will achieve the same desired outcome. I switched to vinegar. Still a bunch of vibrant if anyone wants it;)

Ta, I wondered but not up to speed on SW (plus it feels like anything new after 1990 is banned here [emoji20] ) (Even had liquid carb confiscated and that was posted intra-state [emoji20] [emoji20] ). Thanks!

Last edited:
Ta, I wondered but not up to speed on SW (plus it feels like anything new after 1990 is banned here [emoji20] ) (Even had liquid carb confiscated and that was posted intra-state [emoji20] [emoji20] ). Thanks!

If it's just vinegar then that's a definite last resort. That kind of dosing is a pain and has a major impact on skimming.

What is the major impact?

With vinegar or vodka dosing, it tends to impact the skim that you get or make it that you will have to raise the water level in the cone of the skimmer to get it to skim appropriately. It tends to cause the skim to be much darker and thicker. The last time I was able to have a discussion about such it was being theorized that this is from the die off of the bacteria that the sugars in the vodka/vinegar causes to grow greatly from the dosing.

Back
Top Bottom