What made you want a REEF aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi my name is Carrie me and my partner have recently set up a Kent nano reef 24gal tank. He has kept tropical for years and has made the jump I just love fish and wanted to start up a hobby. We have our live rock and sand in and we've replaced the ceramic rings in the skimmer compartment with live rock rubble. We are getting our cleanup crew on the 31st probably some peppermint shrimp etc was just wondering what people would recommend for fish I wanted to get all three levels incoporated if poss low mid and top end of tank. Cheers everyone xx

Javed said:
Hi I m jay this is my first time with saltwater reef tank . I want to know is there any problem if I use two live sand of different kind in one tank.

Sorry jay but this is not the thread to post your question

My brother has a 55 gallon reef that I was always intrigued by, so that helped. My lfs has an absolutely stunning saltwater and reef set up. It's really hard not to walk in there and want a reef aquarium. Lol. It sucked me in, and I'm really glad it did! :oops: I'm absolutely fascinated by anything aquatic!

My partner manages peoples weddings - one time this couple thought it would be an excellent idea to have a gold fish in a bowl on every table at their wedding. Needless to say most of them didn't make it through the night, but i ended up with the last two remaining gold fish, bought them a proper tank and one of them is still alive today. Cut to years later, my same awesome partner bought me a 55g for my birthday. Off to the fish shop we go (i think my partner thought i would be getting freshwater fish) but i got to the marine section and fell in love with a juvenile queen angel so asked the guy how hard can this be? I still have the 55 and i still don't have an angel fish but am always thinking about the upgrade...

I fell in a pond trying to catch a goldfish at age 2. Started fishing at 4 and got my first tank at 6 or 7. Had fish tanks ever since and still enjoy the outdoor experiences fishing provide ;)

My wife wanted a saltwater aquarium so I found a good deal on a complete setup that a friend was trying to get rid of. After getting it set up and going to look at a few lfs' I ended up being the one that got addicted. We now have a 90 gallon reef that has been running for about 9 months, and are patiently waiting on all of our coral frags to grow into colonies.

Checkout Fintastic since you are in NC!

I go there quite often. I used to work directly across the street from there. I go to Nemo's in Charlotte too. They are all saltwater and have great prices on fish and corals. Thanks!

Well I got my first aquarium when I was about 14. I don't remember what happend to that one, but about 25 years later I've got a 55 fresh for my 4 year old and then what to do with the little 10g out of the kitchen. I'll put it in my office and try SW. Now I can't stop thinking about my next reef. It'll be much bigger though!

at age 8 or 9 (having been fascinated with all animals since I could crawl) I save my money and went to Ely's Fish Farm on Columbia Turnpike in Florham Park NJ. This was 45+ years ago, and the place is still there! By 15 I'd tried my first salt tank, saved all my babysitting monies and had little success -

Back to Oscars, breeding, later added snakes to the menagerie ....

Now in my 50's I've had salt fish-only tanks for 26 years. 90 gallons in my 500sq ft apartment in NYC and 220 in my loft (13 years). After Sandy wiped out my tank inhabitants, I moved to FOWLR - but within 6 months I began to transition to reef. Just got the 6' long LED fixture and NOW we are rocking.

ps. also have a cat and a CAG Parrot of 12 years

my addiction started roughly 4 years ago when I moved in with my girlfriend (at the time). She had a 10g fw tank in her bedroom complete with black and pink gravel, fake neon-colored plants, a plastic background, 2 albino frogs, and guppies. I started to care for them, feeding them as I saw fit. in a few short months, I upgraded the 10g to a 20g long tank. still used the fake plants and junky filter. within a year, it transformed into a planted nature tank, had a few gbr's some angels. mollies and guppies. in those four years, ive gone from that to having a 125 fowlr-going-reef, a 72g bf, a 5g Fluval Chi and a 10g guppy tank for my son. if I had to pinpoint an exact reason as to why I enjoy this hobby and strive for a gorgeous reef tank, it would be because I feel as though our ocean reef systems should be respected and in order to show that respect, I try to mimic mother natures appeal as best as possible

I can blame my wife. Three years ago we went to petsmart to get me a 47g column tank for a pair of seahorses. While I was pointing out the tank excited about buying it her back was to me looking at the 156g tank they had on display. Asking "What about this one?" It was on at that point. In a few months I had softies and an anemone. Four tanks later I have a 6ft hole in my wall for a 220g mixed reef. And yes, I still bring up that day when she says something about the tank.

My marine science teacher breeds clowns, and I fell head over heels for her teeny tanks. I just had to have one.

Back
Top Bottom