What made you want a REEF aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the human race. my fish cant talk and cant feed themselves...yet they aren't nearly as stupid as the human race

I go there quite often. I used to work directly across the street from there. I go to Nemo's in Charlotte too. They are all saltwater and have great prices on fish and corals. Thanks!
I have just started! I am in week 2 of cycling my 149g tank. Live rock is awesome . But I have a hairy yellowish white crab!! Any thoughts.

I have wanted a saltwater tank ever since I went on a snorkeling trip a few years ago. Started small with fw, like most, and still have and love my fw planted tanks. They seemed to keep me satisified for the time being.
I set up a 5 gallon dwarf puffer tank at work this last year, which got my boss hooked, however, he decided to dive head first into a nanocube reef. It was all I could stand, watching his colorful little piece of the ocean, and am now almost finished with my cycle on my first sw tank, a 37 gallon someday-to-be-a-reef tank.
I dont know many people who frequent the local lfs with thier boss, but Im kinda hoping my xmas bonus this year will be in the form of a gift card to our favorite lunch hangout, lol.........and maybe a nice raise :)

My little story goes.... once upon a time i went fishing with a few friends on a river and while doing that we were also trying to catch freshwater crayfish, so i put a few nets in the water and every 2 minutes i check out to see whats happening with nets, the bait was completely gone, so i threw the net in the water and 20 seconds later pulled in up and BAM!!! a turtle lol. So ended up buying a 500l tank and kept the turtle as a pet, as time goes by the turtle was extremely expensive on food so I gave him to a local aquarium shop who now looks after him. Later on I decided I wanted a shark next so attempted to buy a black or white tip reef shark and failed miserably as I came to realise a 500l tank is too small so i went for a bamboo shark... had that for a few years then went overseas for a holiday for a month, came back and everything in the tank was dead due to the power turning off to the house and the canister filters didnt restart..... soooo decided on an upgrade and now have a 1000l reef tank and everything is all happy

Hey guys,
Well it all started, in July actually! My friend had gotten a saltwater aquarium and he wanted to show me his fish. I saw them and I thought they were pretty cool. I was n't very interested at the time because I have around 5 freshwater aquariums already and I was happy with those. He bought some corals and the aquarium he had was really starting to look very nice. I started to research about sw aquariums and in this process, i discovered this forum :D. I joined and was looking through people's aquariums and how great they look and I decided to make my own sw aquarium. I had to sell some of my aquariums to make room and have some money to start a sw fish tank. I raised money and now I have my aquarium, it has been cycling for 8 days and they nitrites are at 0 :D. I have one small blue damsel in there for now. hoping to get corals and more fish next weekend.

dome pics of my tank

I started in a 2.5 gallon 2 years ago, then moved into a 28. From there moved to 55 and now I'm in my ü5. Will be moving into the 120 in January. Lovin the hobby!

Attachments

• 20131201_115832.jpg
    20131201_115832.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20131201_115737.jpg
    20131201_115737.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 20131201_115230.jpg
    20131201_115230.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 152
  • 20131201_115804.jpg
    20131201_115804.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 179
I started in a 2.5 gallon 2 years ago, then moved into a 28. From there moved to 55 and now I'm in my ü5. Will be moving into the 120 in January. Lovin the hobby!

That is a very impressive aquarium.

One word. Tanked. I watched that show and then had to get a tank. I started out with a 20 FW, then 5 months later i got my 37g mix reef, the 3 months later my 60 cube mix reef, and now i am converting my 20 fresh into a reef also. Ive got the bug. Thousands on this stuff and thousand soon to come!

Tanked! Hah same here. I've got thr coral bug. Dropped a couple hundred on the orange scolymia yesterday. Very beutiful coral :)

Post some pics when you get the chanc fishy user! I'd love to see your progress in a thread! :D

Here are some pics. Its not much yet but it will get better. :D the damsel is in the top corner, hard to get a pic of him with my phone. :p

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131202_083108.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131202_083108.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 312
Started out with fw because I could afford it, buying ranks from cl. I would see reef aquariums and wanted them but thought they were way to expensive and couldn't do it. But found a good deal on a tank with some live rock in it already and thought I'd give it a try. I am now hooked and have upgraded a couple times to my now 110g tall reef mix with sump and refugium. I can't get enough of it.

Many many years ago, I saw a tank in an aquarium somewhere that had seahorses in it and fell in love with the idea of a saltwater tank with seahorses til I started researching it and found out that most seahorses were wild caught and that they were a threatened species and many died during the process so I gave up that idea. I remained fascinated with saltwater tanks over the years and very recently was offered a 220 gallon tank and equipment for free from a friend of a friend who had divorced and needed to rehouse it. So we got it set up (nothing is free, it hadn't been used in 5 years and needed a skimmer and new lights, live sand and rock, etc) and then I realized that it still wasn't the best tank for seahorses. So now I am have a FOWLR tank and have decided to do a second tank for seahorses. I am finding this tank fascinating, finding all the new things that are growing from the live rock is intriguing and the fish are so endearing. I really enjoy watching them, and I am enjoying this forum and all the info that is available. One of my next posts will be to start collecting ideas for the next tank.

Been keeping tanks for over twenty years, but usually brackish. Some years ago, my wife and i went to a new tattoo shop. The owner had one of the most amazing reef set ups I've ever seen. Watching it, I realized just how therapeutic it was and I was hooked... No pun intended. Big surprise, the owner is now one of my best friends, and I'm sitting in front of my 150 gallon Valium right now lol.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom