What paint do you use for back of aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently painted my 44g and 72g w/ acrylic paint from AC Moore however on the 44 it got a little wet and seem to be peeling off, and it takes like 6-7 coats until you can no longer see through it. Any recommendations on a good paint? BTW, I must be able to use a roller because the tank is already filled and only 5 inches or so from the wall.

TIA
Chris

Why don't you just go to the LFS and get some off the plastic backing and just tape it on.. I did that works great..

Doan

I would however the aquarium is 31" tall and they don't make it that big :cry:

Well now that you have some paint on there why dont' you just get two sheets overlap them a bit and tape them together. The background goes on the outside of the tank. Since you already have some paint on there I really doubt you would see the seam unless you knew where it was and were looking for it.... What color are we talking about here?

Doan

I actually want to paint my 110(which I didn't even start to paint yet) That's a good idea about cutting the backround, I think I'll do that to fix my other tank(44g that got a little messed up from water). Maybe I'll just paint 2-3 coats on my 110 and then do your backround idea?

Someone might blast me, but I just taped plastic wrap over the top and front of my Eclipse three and spray painted the back and sides. I've also spray painted the back of a 10g. Never had an issue with either tank, though I must stress making sure the top is well covered and rinsing several times with water to make sure nothing got in.

Spray Paint works wonders.... Many colors to choose from and when it dries it is non-toxic

Spray paint would work however the tank is already filled and only about 5 inches from the wall, so that's why I need to be able to use a roller to apply it.

Latex works well. Acrylic paint dries even more "rubber-like" that latex and will peel. Latex will lafter years of use I imagine but I have had no problems with it. The same latex you put on the walls.

R-

I acutally used Rust-oleum Gloss Enamel spray paint. Specificly the sail blue color. I layed down about 1/2 of a can on the back of my 75. I put masking tape down around the edges just incase the paint would eat away at the sylicon.

Back
Top Bottom