what return pump for this setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
i JUST bought this setup

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4380849010&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

the overflow is rated at up to 600 gph.

I was thinkin of gettin the CA 2200 as the return pump. But on various sites, ive seen it advertised at 800 gph, 685 and 585. I dont want to overpower the overflow. I want it to work right.

im totally new to this all, tryin to piece everything together for my setup.

What pump would you suggest?

I need help asap please, going to be buying the pump from the same seller and hoping to pay as soon as i can for everything.

THanks in advance guys!

Jay D

I have a 55 gallon tank, dont know if that would affect it( didnt think so atleast)

if the pump you use pushes more water the the overflow can handle, you can put a valve on the return line to slow it down to where you want, thats what im going to do with mine.. i think its a ball valve, its one where there is a small handle and you can turn to adjust the flow..... i have not picked one up yet so i dont know the name =)

im running a line off of my return line back down into the sump, then adjust the water flow between the 2, so its not to much for the overflow

there are alot of examples in the dyi section i think, or around the forum.. try a search :)

i think its a ball valve

Yup, thats all you need. If your going to ball it off, hook up a T fitting just above the pump but still submerged. This will allow the excess head pressure the ball valve creates to escape rather than build up on the pump and shorten its lifespan. This is not 100% necessary, however it is a cheap addition that keeps things running longer.

bawla - all you need to do is go to home depot and get a ball valve. pumps have either a 1/2 or 3/4 male output. you can buy a ball valve to screw right on the pump and then do whatever you want from there. I got Flex tube fitting to screw into the other side of the valve and adjusted the flow to match the overflow
hope that helps....

I would use a Mag7 or Mag 9.5 if I were you. Here is a little pic of the ball valve Brisco was talking about. I would do this as well.

f4114a3c.jpg

Had a little time on my hands... :wink:

The diagram that is above also uses another concept and thats the bleeder line back into the sump. The drawings a little hard to tell but this is how that would work.

Their would be a "T" fitting just above the pump. Ideally a true union would be there aswell so you can disconnect the pump from the plumbing with out having to totally cut the pump from the plumbing.

Above the true union would be the T fitting with a ball valve on the leg going to the sump as a bleeder line. Given gravity the water will try to go the path of least resistance and that will be the bleeder line. In theory by adjusting the valve on the bleeder line to be more open the flow going into the tank will decrese since the water will have an easier path back into the sump via this bleeder.

If you get a Mag 7.5 you wont over power that overflow even with out the ballve valve or bleeder at the most common head heights. The mag 9 could slightly overdrive the overflow unless you have extra high head height or you use something like a squid that will inharently increase the overall head pressure of the return.

thats a good diagram...i need to add the T too....i just have a ball valve which i guess over time could wear down the pump abit....

you guys think i will be perfectly fine with the mag 7? then i wouldnt need the ball valve?

im kinda wantin to go the mag 7 route now.

It all depends on how far the return to the tank is.. IMO I woulg go with larger then a mag 7. Your looking at what 4-6' return that cuts the gph down a lot. You want good flow so go with a bigger Mag and stay away from the CA. I hav ehad several CA1800 for my skimmers and the crap out and have problems starting after a power outage.

Back
Top Bottom