What salt and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
I want to know what brand salt everybody is using and Why. One of the most important parts of this thread is Why. So state your brand and explain why you are using it. We should be able to show this to new people in SW aquaria to help them see our opinions and they can choose from there. Keep it civil and remember it`s everybody`s opinion.

For the past 10+ years I have used Instant Ocean because it remains relatively inexpensive and keeps water chemistries within an acceptable range for reef aquaria.

I also have had a SW reef tank for 10 yrs now and I have used Oceanic Salt about the last 7 yrs. I like the fact that I can keep my calcium where it needs to be with just PWC`s. IMO it does a good job of replenishing trace elements also.

I use Instant Ocean because it is used by everyone i know personally. Highly recommended stuff.

For about 15 yrs I used Red Sea. I now use Red Sea Coral Pro because I have a high ca-alk consumption reef and this salt is high in ca and alk right out of the box. I also like it because it is a natural, not synthetic, sea salt.

Ive used oceanic for two years. When I first started the two options that I had locally were Oceanic and Instant Ocean and I heard for people having Cyano out breaks with IO but who knows if that is actually true (seems a little far fetched to me). Oceanic has worked fine for me, so if it works don't fix it, IMO.

During setup I read a few threads just like this one and it seemed at the time that reef crystals was recommended the most, therefore I chose to use reef crystals.

I use Tropic Marin. My tank is extremely stable and i have never had any problems with water chemistry. I've used it since day one because i heard many good things about it when i was getting into the hobby.

Still pretty new to SW, but I use Instant Ocean. The price was decent, it came recommended by many as a good budget salt, and it comes in a nice bucket. So far, so good.

Same as Chase33... before setting up my tank, I researched and researched about salt brands. Decided that Reef Crystals seemed to have the fewest complaints about it so started with that. Have stuck with it for nearly a year now because I haven't had any problems. No algae issues, stable pH, no cyano - just nice sparkling clear water.

I wish it had higher Ca, but realize that it's always a trade off. Plus... I'm kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of guy.

I also use Reef Crystals. I tried Red Sea but it didn't mix well, and left clumps of salt in the water. Reef Crystals however blends extremely well and has great additives of vitamins, calcium, etc. It is also a pretty inexpensive salt.

I use Coralife sea salt. Why?...because each bucket comes with a free t-shirt! Seriously, When I started a few years back it is what the LFS recommended. I have been pretty happy with it, although I have noticed varied CA readings between batches. It buffers Ph very well and keeps CA around 380. I prefer CA between 400-420 so I dose from time to time to keep it up. IMHO, I think the biggest difference among prepared salts is longevity. There may be some salts that allow you to stretch out the time between water changes. However, with frequent and regular water changes I suspect you will not notice a huge difference in salt performance between the various brands.

Lets see.. Ummm tank had 1st fish put in on July 1st this year. Reef cyrstals is what I've been useing because of price and others on here recommended it

I used to use IO but switched to RC, why, cyano and other algaes. I still get a small outbreak, now and then but not as bad as before.

I'm new to SW...using Reef Crystals because many people recommended it and I trust their judgement.

I recently switched from Reef Crystals to Tropic Marine, at the suggestion of another fish enthusiast. Can't say which of the two is better just yet, but the Tropic Marine does seem to mix a lot easier.

I am using the new Seachem Reef Salt. The why would be because with IO I couldn't get Ca higher than 360-380 and I am trying to prepare for more sps corals. I also had some cyano issues with IO, and it never mixed well for me.

The Seachem mixes amazingly well, always provides me with a high Ca (some would argue too high > 480). So far I am very happy with it.

I switched from IO to Reef Crystals and have been happy with the improvement. I wish the ca was higher but since I've been dosing with each water change it works out well.

Devilishturtles said:

The Seachem mixes amazingly well, always provides me with a high Ca (some would argue too high > 480). So far I am very happy with it.

Wow! What salinity is that mixed at... 1.024 or so?

Also... what alkalinity goes along with that, after a couple days of sitting?

Back
Top Bottom