what school you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 years old 125 reef tank. Fishless right now. I always liked school fishes. Can you guys advice me what you like and would be nice for my tank or maybe it is not good idea? Thanks.

how long has it been fishless and why is it fishless? if everything died by some sort of mishap like a power outage, i would no longer consider it a 5 year old tank as it will have to re-cycle.
that said, i can't think of any schooling fish that will fit nicely in a 125. perhaps cardinals or reef chromis for a while.

Be careful adding a school of fish to a tank that has run fishless for some time. There is a good possibility that there isn't enough nitrifying bacteria to accommodate a large bio-load.

If you are going to add a school, you might have to add the fish in small groups or individually and let them build up the required nitrifying bacteria before adding more.

This can pose other problems though depending on the species.

how long has it been fishless and why is it fishless? if everything died by some sort of mishap like a power outage, i would no longer consider it a 5 year old tank as it will have to re-cycle.
that said, i can't think of any schooling fish that will fit nicely in a 125. perhaps cardinals or reef chromis for a while.

I wrote in this forum about week ago how frustrated I am. Had for over 4 years all those fishes. Hippo, Yelow, Powder Tangs, Maroon Clown, Midas Blenny and Flame Angel. All perfect shape, colors. Beautiful peaceful tank. The only things added were frags once a while. Even them I tried rinse before puting into tank. 2 weeks ago I got ich I was stund. From where? Even coral you should quarantine for 8 weeks? It is crazy.You buy beautiful coral put him in QT with worse light and wait 8 weeks to really see his beauty? So tank is fishless for 2 weeks, fishes are in hyposalnity.

ahh. ich may have been in the tank the entire time, and it probably was. it was brought on by some event- an ammonia spike perhaps? heater malfunction?
this event(whatever it may have been) stressed the fish and lowered their immune systems enough for the ich to get a foothold and the rest was history.

ahh. ich may have been in the tank the entire time, and it probably was. it was brought on by some event- an ammonia spike perhaps? heater malfunction?
this event(whatever it may have been) stressed the fish and lowered their immune systems enough for the ich to get a foothold and the rest was history.

After hyposalnity I'm still afraid to put those fishes back in my display. Do you think they will be free of ich? And if I decided to buy others no matter what should I put them thru hypo no matter what or just watch them for 2,3 weeks. I know there are different opinions out there.Thanks.And you think that ich did not come with frags?:(

It's my understanding that ich needs a host fish to survive, it only lives on fish, no corals or inverts.

Without a host for a fortnight it can't survive in the free swimming stage and kicks the bucket.

Although again I've always heard "allow a month of fishless to be sure)

Anyway I may be wrong, that's just how I've always understood it.

Yes. There is so many theories. Some people say if fish had ich once is more prone to get again. Other that it does not matter. If system is free of ich fish will be free too, no matter what. I really don't know. When I was talking how I could got that ich, I thought when I put frag ich could be on coral ( coral is wet, so there is water on him) Those are just my thoughts

Back
Top Bottom