what shrimps should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcaptains

Aquarium Advice Regular

Hello,
I would like to get a shrimp for my tank. Fish in this tank are a yellow tail damsel, a talbot damsel and a yellow shrimp goby.

A pistol shrimp would do but I would preffer to get something else. Anything you could recomand for this tank?

Thanks

I love the red blood shrimp. They are very colorful. At the beginning they hide alot but soon they are out.

Blood shrimp are awesome but I've never kept one. I find the skunk cleaners very personable. They do not hide like peppermints and are happy to clean your hands when you are in the tank.

Thanks for your help.
So all those shrimp would do well with the fish I have? What about the sexy shrimp?

I have 3 blood shrimp in my 90g.
I had 1 in there, but he hid for the first week.. never saw him. Then I learned they like to be in a community, so I bought 2 more... sure enough, a few days later all 3 are always out, those things scurry all over the rocks like mice, always moving. Though they DO fight with one another whenever they cross paths, I have yet to see any injuries. They also leave all my fish alone from what I've seen.

The other kinda cool thing they do is, if you put some small floating food.. (i.e. flakes, krill, etc.)... they will climb up to the highest rocks, then "run" up the glass (using their 'fins' at the bottom of their tails for propulsion), then go upside down at the top of the water and 'run' across the water upside down to snag a big piece of food, then swim back down behind a rock to eat it.

Very interesting how they interact with their environment. I would've liked to have had a skunk shrimp too though.

Sexy shrimp are cool, but they work better in more numbers...say...at least 4 maybe 6 (I have never kept them). They stay small. My bloods always hid but were very colorful. Cleaners are great too. If you add a pistol to the mix, he will stay in his burrow and not bother the others. Mine is a super sand sifter.

Back
Top Bottom