What the heck is this thing???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdaccord03

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just purchased 40 lbs of LR from liverocks.com and I found a lot of life on my rocks. Unfortunately, aiptasia was one specimen. This morning I found another critter that kind of freaks me out. It looked like a worm of some sort with several legs. It was about 3 inches long and the girth of about the diameter of a dime almost. It looked predatory but it hid in the rocks before I could get a chance to get it out. Any ideas what this mystery guest might be?

Thanks.

JW

My guess without a picture would be a bristle worm. They look like hairy catapillers. Mine are harmless!

OK just got another look at him. He looks like some kind of shrimp and is about the size I mentioned before. He hid before I could net him and get him outta there though.

Does it look like THIS:

Mantis_Shrimp.jpg

DOEP356-018.jpg

Is the rock in your tank yet? can you pull it out easily?
If so, take the rock he is in, find his hole and spritz a little FW into the hole with a turkey baster. He should come jumping out so be ready.
Oh and don't try and pick him up with your bare hands. A strike from him would hurt. :oops:
They are preditors so if you can get him now, all the better.
Also consider setting up a small tank for him. They are interesting as long as they are not in a community tank.
HTH

Damn mantis

I got a couple from my rock from liverocks.com also. I found one before introducing the rock but I know I have at least one more because the popping sound is a nightly ritual with this fellow(s). I'm told it could also be a pistol shrimp but given I found one mantis I'll bet I have another.

I've tried to catch with a inverted pop bottle trap to no avail. I'm told that some of the info around them is a myth and not worry.

I want mine out as the popping annoys me and I don't want the risk.

I still haven't introduced any livestock to my tank but was hoping to do so shortly. I suspect my mantis is very small. The one I found in the bottom of the bag was very, very small.

take the rock he is in, find his hole and spritz a little FW into the hole with a turkey baster. He should come jumping out so be ready.

That's exactly what I did. I took the rock the little bugger was last seen in and squirted him with some tap water. I put a bowl under the rock when I did it and he *jumped* right into the bowl. I had someone from the NJRC ready to take my unwanteds so I just bagged this guy up with some SW and kept him floating in my QT over night. Then I took the pile of crabs and the mantis to this guy who wanted them. Win-win! Mine was pretty tiny (1/4"?) and looked all black.

I used a small glass to scoop him up.

Back
Top Bottom