What to do with mushrooms in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a very healthy and large group of mushrooms growing in my tank. I know this will cause a few folks to cringe, but I've just tossed the mushrooms that come off of the main group. Currently I've got about 4 mushrooms on the bottom of my tank (in the sand).....I've tried stuffing them into areas of the lr but they always end up surfing around the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on anchoring these guys? I kinda hate to keep on tossin 'em.

img_781772_0_38388622c22ab943af1c5f08039f3a56.jpg

Well if you would like I'll gladly give you my address and you can send them to me. If you are trying to get them to attach to rock then you will need to put them on a rock in a low flow area so they can attach. They are like anemones in that way, they wont grab hold until they are happy.

I`ve taken some fishing line and tied them to rock and after they reattach cut the line off.

Well if you would like I'll gladly give you my address and you can send them to me

Tell you what, if you were closer I'd give them to you! .....along with several kenya tree starts and a huge torch coral (that really likes to sting, sting, sting-it's neighbors) and one very naughty yellow tang that I refer to as the "tank nazi"

Thanks to both of you folks for the info. I'll going to try the fishing line trick.

I have reattached mushrooms to smaller rocks via super glue gel. Another option is to bag 'em up and take them to the LFS for in-store credit.

I definitely agree with taking them to the LFS for store credit. I do it all the time. The LFS know that people love shrooms.

Wow, thank you all very much for the input. I'm heading out to pick up some rubble to attach the mushrooms to.

Now, if I haven't used up all of questions yet, I do have one more. I have many (underline MANY) kenya tree starts growing in my tank. How do I remove them from the lr? I don't necessarily want to keep them, but they are growing everywhere! Can I just remove them while they're in the tank (scrape them off the rock)? My tank is looking very "full" with corals and I'd like to "clean" it up some.

Thanks very much for all of the information.

Are you sure they are Kenya trees and not aiptasia or majano anemones? If they are kenya trees, scraping them off the rock will work. Any tissue left behind will start to form a new colony with time so remove as much as you can. Running GAC after removing them will get rid of any chemicals/toxins released from cutting them. A PWC would also be a good idea.

Are you sure they are Kenya trees and not aiptasia or majano anemones? If they are kenya trees, scraping them off the rock will work. Any tissue left behind will start to form a new colony with time so remove as much as you can. Running GAC after removing them will get rid of any chemicals/toxins released from cutting them. A PWC would also be a good idea.
Yes, they are from my larger kenya tree coral. Every couple of weeks it drops off a limb and it attaches to the lr in the tank (now, why the mushrooms can't be more cooperative I'll never know).

I just returned from the lfs with my rubble so we'll see how successful I am in attaching the mushrooms.

Again, thank you all for the information!

Back
Top Bottom