What to do with undesireables?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
What does everyone do with undesirable hitchhikers. So far I've heard of selling, flushing, keeping, smashing.

If all goes well I'll be getting about 160Lbs of LR next week.

If the general concensus was to keep them in a small tank, then I'd pick up a 10Gal at the LFS while I was there to pick up my Fuge.

Is it OK to just smash the things with a wooden stick and let the cleanup crew have a buffet?

Be sure to provide condiments and beverages.

well most of the time if i find some thing in the rock that i dont want he will go to the sump. if he is still doing more harm there then i give him to any one who wants it. i do this becasue i feel so bad about killing some thing. (but i do deer hunt but i am eating it) so if i found some thing to eat all of the crabs in my tank i would be feeding them to it.

nope if i got one of them i woudl have traded him in at the lfs. they sell fast and they sell for like $40. but in my 25 lbs of keys rock i got from liverocks.com i did not get any mantis. and if i did i might have just set up a tank just for him.

I've been wondering this, too--I won't be able to kill anything. Just me. But who wants a mantis shrimp? I thought they were just plain pests . . . are they kept by some folks on purpose?

As the old Reef saying goes "one man's pest is another pet" or something like that. I would not advocate "smashing" anything. See if your LFS is interested in any "unwanteds". Odds are they will be. Worst case scenario, you could utilize any meat and feed fish, corals etc. I hate to see life just wasted :?
Also any leftover "smashed" food may cause a spike in such a new tank if left to the clean up crew.

They are actually really interesting. Just because I don't want one in my reef, doesnt mean they wouldn't be cool in a smal acrylic tank.
One man gathers what another man spills

When I got my LR.com order, I was almost hoping to get one. I even had a 10 gallon set up just in case.
But.....no Mantis.....yet. :mrgreen:

I may have a mantis, I don't know. (crossing my fingers that its a pistol.) IF I did have one I would stick him in my fuge. except that I don't have a fuge. so, He will go to the pet store.

some of the large worms and crabs that I was able to remove went in the trash bin though. I couldn't bring myself to kill em quick.

Back
Top Bottom