what to feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ektorgt

Aquarium Advice Regular
what should i feed a porcupine puffer fish??
blue and yellow tang??
mandarin dragonet???
chocolate chip starfish??

i only have frozen brine shrimp.... but i dont know what other type of food to buy.....

thanks

some dried seaweed for the tang, possibly some mysis shrimp and if your puffer is of good size, krill, regular sized shrimp.

I feed frozen: green lifeline, mysis shrimp, daphnia, krill, and cyclopeze. With the tang I would also get some died seaweed or nori and put it in a clip 2-3 x a week if not daily.

The puffer should take the krill and mysis. My concern is the dragonette. How big is your sytsem and how long has it been up? Basically mandarins mostly eat pods that only exist is a large enough established tank. Otherwise it is basically starving and should probably go back to the LFS.

If your system is newer I have seen mine eat the cyclopeze and daphnia, but that is an exception to the rule and will not sustain them forever.

I would discontinue the frozen brine shrimp. It has no nutritrional value and is mearly a treat. It is similar to feeding them twinkies. The mysis would be much better.

Oh, I also use some marine flake and pellets in an electric feeder as I am not always home.

HTH,

woow that is a lot of stuff to feed the fish!

so do they sell all of thesee at the lfs??

and i cant return the mandarin because i bought them online so im gonna try the cyclopeze and daphnia...

thank you so much afilter

Yes, I get them all at my LFS. Not sure who makes the green life line and cyclopese, but the other frozen is from gamma.

Of course I do not feed them all daily. I place some sw in a small container(small round gladware salad dressing size) and then place small amount cyclopese(pea size chunk) and green life line(1/4-1/2 cube) in daily. I them rotate the daphnia, krill and mysis with this mix. Let it disolve and them dump it in tank. When I say small amount I mean small, a little goes a long way. You can always add more.

A single pack usually last me months as long as it is stored properly in the freezer.

So, what is your set up and how long has it been up? If you do not think you can support the mandarin there may be a LFS that will still take it.

Good luck,

my set up has been up for a month and a half and i had nothing but a clownfish that i bought more than a week ago but got stuck in a powerhead and died.... sad story i know....

Yeah, it does not look good for the dragonette then unless it really takes to the cyclopese or daphnia. You will need to add about 3x LR. 120lbs or more is rcomended for a single manadrin. A fuge might not be a bad idea either to help your pods population. It is usually rcomended that I tank be up for at least a year before adding a mandarin. I only warn you because I had to learn the hard way and lost one. Unfortunately that is the fate of most mandarins in the hobby. Unfortunately they do not come with warnings at the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom