What to feed my baby Naso Tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently picked him up at my local LFS for 20 bucks, anyway hes about 2 inches long, he dont touch mycin shrimp, and he kinda eats the flakes but not near enough, what else should i try? Thanks Ryan

Get some Nori seaweed.

(and a bigger tank)

If you dont have access to seaweed right away you could try to put a piece of lettuce in the tank. I would rinse it well with RO and then you can just clip it to the glass, or rubberband it to a rock or whatever. This is not a nutrient rich as seaweed, but can be easier to find and readily availble.

There are also some good frozen food for Tangs, I use emerald entrees as a treat once in a while. Also, I would expect that after the tang settles in he will eat Mysis also, but always try to have seaweed / greens available.

Ya, Nori...... Used for people food...... sushi wrap. Lettuce IMO is not a good idea, only a filler and not good.... How long have you had it? It can take a week or so till a fish gets used to the tank. Goog luck .....

Why would you put a naso in a 35 hex? Hes probably not eating due to stress.

Although I agree the tank will be too small sooner or later (see the fineprint in my first reply), I doubt it has anything to do with not feeding right now since the fish is only 2".

yea the tank is to small, but within in 3 months and my 55 gallon is ready my tang will be ready for the switch over....anyways...he ate lettuce i put in there and he ate a ton of it..YAY

Lettuce is worthless and he can starve on a full stomach of it. Yet if he ate lettuce thats a good sign he will take nori. Anyways a 55 gallon isn't going to come close to cutting it either. Naso tangs do best in 135-180 gallon aquariums, and IMO require a tank this size if you are going to keep him alive once he starts growing.

Sixline is right about the lettuce and the tank. Naso's get huge.. well over a foot in length. The stunted growth from being in a small tank is gonna give you a very unhealthy fish.

Still, you've got a while to make plans.. definitely try to get some Nori for now.

I think the point was missed with the lettuce. It is a step in getting the fish switched to seaweed, and for the record I am not sure I agree with it being worthless. While it is certainly not a nutrient rich as seaweed is.... it still is a far cry from worthless. For that matter I have had a tang for a while now that absolutely loves a piece of broccoli every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom