What to look for >?>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2nicewitit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just started my 46 gal Bow front reef tank. I have a red sea priszm skimmer, i bio wheel wet dry filter, metal halide w/ 2 actinic bulbsl, 2 power heads and approx 70-80 lbs of LR that i just picked up from a colleauge who's been doing this for years but decided to make room in his basement.

Right now i'm just monitoring the water quality and doing checks every other day. So far ph is 8.0-8.2, nitrite 0, Amonia 0 and Nitrates are approx 20.

I've only had the LR since Saturday, 2 days, and i'm already to see littel feather dusters and already starting to see alot of purple dust forming on the rocks already?

I have no animals in the tank as again, i'm just trying to moniter the water levels.

My question are the most important things to look out in a new aquarium?? How to i know if if i have a problem(s)? What should i do/have to ensure i'm doing the right thing....basically??

Fanx. :D

Just keep checking the water saicity and if ur not sure the nitrates are right or anything like that what i did when i first started my tank is i took a jar of water to the nearby fish shop and theyll check it for you and tell you what to do if anything is wrong....

P.S. call and make sure the shop does these kind of tests before going ha ha gas is a lot these days

Dont worry about PH right now. The only readings you need to monitor are ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. After you cycle then do a PWC and then you can worry about PH, calcium and the others. BTW welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input though are there any criters/physical apperarances that i should look out for??

The first thing you want to do is make sure your tank has cycled. I would add a pinch of food and test for ammonia in 3-4 days. If you used cured LR, you may have already cycled your tank.
As for critters to look out for, there are many possibilities, just sit back, watch and take pics so you can post in the ID section.

Back
Top Bottom