what to look for when buying...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...a protein skimmer. i am really interested in getting one, not really out of need, but more a desire to get all the equipment i am going to need. eventually, i would like to have a nice coral tank, but before i do that, i want to make sure i have everything set up right.

also, any tips for buying a RO/DI unit? i know that i dont need to get one of these, but i have a real issue with paying my LFS for water. it just feels dirty.

tia

does the tank have a sump? if so, look at in-sump skimmers. If not, you'll need a good hang-on skimmer, Aqua C Remora or CPR Bak-pak 2R.

Check out filtersdirect on ebay for a good ro/di unit. I bought one from them and it works really well and was only $100. They also sell different attachments for them so I was able to hook up the filter in my laundry room. As far as skimmers go, I would stay away from a seaclone. I had one and it was a real POS and gave me nothing but trouble and I finally had to get rid of it. It was reallly cheap so I guess you get what you pay for. Keep that in mind when purchasing your skimmer.

Def go with ebay..mine was 69 dollars and it works great. Its a 6 stage filter and one from a store was around 250

Back
Top Bottom