What to make of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duaumun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody!
Anyways, I got a one gallon tank for Christmas with an undergravel filter. Any ideas on what i could do with it? Freshwater or saltwater ideas are welcome. Tank is 8" tall, 7" long and 4" deep. No saltwater fish obviously. I was thinking that maybe I could breed some bettas. Maybe i could grow turtle grass. I dunno. Help guys!

Ciao
:twisted:DUAUMUN :twisted:

No reason why you can't have a salt tank although it would require alot more diligence on your part. I have 2 x ¾ gal nano's that are basic coral/invert tanks. I would ditch the UGF and just use 1" of oolitic aragonite sand and LR for the filtration with something to move the water.

Did it come with a HOB filter and lighting? If so you should be fine although you may need to alter the light from an incadescent to a PC mogul for better results.

Cheers
Steve

Nope. It cost ten bucks so i would need to buy the light (somewhere) and the filter is an air pump hooked up to a tube hooked up to the under gravel thingy. Just a piece of crap really. But it does move the water. I certainly wouldn't call it a filter. Maybe i could do some live rock and some cleaner shrimp. What inverts could i use? If i checked the levels once a day, would that be fine? Say, 4-6 P.M.? For the live rock, would i need to check calcium?

If i am correct, i should do about 4 lbs of live rock right? Suggestions are still welcome.

duaumun said:
Nope. It cost ten bucks so i would need to buy the light (somewhere) and the filter is an air pump hooked up to a tube hooked up to the under gravel thingy. Just a piece of crap really. But it does move the water. I certainly wouldn't call it a filter.
Nor would I. Not using it would still be better though. If you have seen any local shops that sell Azoo equipment you should be able to find small enough lighting and a proper HOB filter. Like you can see >>here<<

Maybe i could do some live rock and some cleaner shrimp. What inverts could i use?
I would stick to only one mobile invert that is easily cared for but I would not suggest a cleaner. They will get to large. Either a sexy shrimp, peppermint or anemone shrimp. You will also need a few snails, cerith would be best. With a decent PC light, you could easily keep all sorts of smaller soft corals as well.

If i checked the levels once a day, would that be fine? Say, 4-6 P.M.? For the live rock, would i need to check calcium?
With these types of smaller tanks you definately need to be more aware of water conditions but since you will not really have much of a waste producing animal load, once or twice a week will suffice. The main challenge will be keeping up with evaporation and keeping the salinity stable. I need to add water to mine twice a day. Be absolutley sure it is kept away from direct sunlight and only use RO water. Water changes should be done weekly or twice weekly but cost will not be a factor since it will only be a cup oir two. Quite easy really and you will not need to monitor the chem. A properly balanced salt will do what you need for this kind of tank, just be sure you stay clear of Instant Ocean.

You will need about 2ish lbs of LR and if possible buy some sand from one of the coral tanks at the LFS. One cup should be more than enough to add to the other sand needed and do an excellent job of kickstarting the tank.

Cheers
Steve

So i don't need to check PH, Ammonia, nitrates/nitrites or calcium? This would be pretty cool. I have 55 gallons of salt from my old salt aquarium :( . Right now i have a 7 gallon bowfront freshwater. I have this tank in my bathroom. It's a perfect location because i never shut that door and it is in a corner/ alcove with no sunlight. Could i keep any anenomes?

Oh, and i love your signature. Gotta try that some time.

duaumun said:
So i don't need to check PH, Ammonia, nitrates/nitrites or calcium?
Not so lucky :wink: I was refering to the chemistry related to keeping stoney corals. The regular weekly water changes should take care of all you need but the standard water parameter tests are still a must.

I have 55 gallons of salt from my old salt aquarium :( . Right now i have a 7 gallon bowfront freshwater. I have this tank in my bathroom. It's a perfect location because i never shut that door and it is in a corner/ alcove with no sunlight. Could i keep any anenomes?
The 1 nor the 7 gal will be large enough to properly support an anemone, they are too small and the anemone would not live long. :(

Cheers
Steve

Okay, what about the hammerhead coral? It looks like an anenome but would it still be to large? BTW, the 7 gallon isn't changing. And as long as the water parameters are fine and i change more than usual, maybe 3-4 times a week, could i get by with not buying any buffers until there was a problem? Thanks a ton, this is probably what i'll do.

Sorry, but i have a stocking plan when you're ready.

2lbs of live rock
oolictic aragonite sand, one inch
3 peppermint shrimp
hammerhead coral

Any coral suggestions? Do i put the live rock in right after the sand? and then how long until i add the corals? Thanks Steve-s, i'm gonna love this tank. I'll post pictures.

Okay, what about the hammerhead coral? It looks like an anenome but would it still be to large? BTW, the 7 gallon isn't changing. And as long as the water parameters are fine and i change more than usual, maybe 3-4 times a week, could i get by with not buying any buffers until there was a problem? Thanks a ton, this is probably what i'll do

By that you mean the 7 will be remaining FW? I would actually not start off with a stoney coral for the 1 gal or any tank for that matter. Once the tank is set up and cycled (1-2 months) I would just add a snail or two and simpley feed the tank a pellet or two weekly. Let it mature another month before you decide to add anything else.

Oh, an how much should i gravel vaccum/siphon the gravel?
This will never be needed nor would I ever suggest it.

duaumun said:
Sorry, but i have a stocking plan when you're ready.
2lbs of live rock
oolictic aragonite sand, one inch
3 peppermint shrimp
hammerhead coral
Any coral suggestions? Do i put the live rock in right after the sand? and then how long until i add the corals? Thanks Steve-s, i'm gonna love this tank. I'll post pictures.
I would only choose one peppermint, not three. There will not be enough "living" space and they will kill each other.

A small stoney may be possible in time once the tank progresses but I would start off will a few mushrooms, zoanthuds and/or a colt coral. All somewhat hardy and should do well if the light is up to PAR and the water parameters are maintained. More that twice weekly water changes should not be needed since you will not have a waste producing bioload. The shrimp will suffice with a single sinking pellet a few times a week. Be absolutely sure whichever saltmix you have is properly balanced before you do water changes. Any swing in chem will mean certain doom to the inhabitants. Other than watching the evaporation carefully, they are really easily maintained. Just remember that anything you do must be done with care. The tank will be subject to immediate changes.

If you ease into this you will end up with a great little tank. If you leap, the tank will plunge. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom