What to put in an empty HoB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is for my 10G Reef, with around 13lbs LR.

I recently picked up a new HoB and have used up the slot cartridge thingies which came with it.

In the 4 'compartments' it has I'm now running a bag of Purigen, Carbon and GFO.

Basically, I hate having empty space which could be made useful.

So what could I stuff in there to fill it up?

I was thinking of some extra bio-media like ceramic rings or lava rock rubble.

What do we think?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Meh, I'm not a big fan of changing something out every other day.

I see how it'd help though.

You don't have to change it out every other day, just do it during your weekly wc

I'm not a fan of matrix for saltwater, but purigen is an amazing product. I love the stuff.

Yup, not a single thing those tiny white beads can't do.

However, I'm already running 100ml for 10G... And I don't really think I'll be needing anymore.

Totally not. The matrix though I'm far from sold on it being useful in saltwater applications.
But in terms of what else could go in there, I think that the filter floss or any type of similar would be the best benefit to the system in terms of pulling out the big chunks of gunk that need removed from your system. I have circular sponges that I use on my tank in my overflow before it goes down into the filter socks and towards the skimmer and media that I run in the system. Clean it out once a week by switching out the sponges that I rinse out. Not a big deal and easy step during water changes where you can even use the water change water to rinse.

I'm not a fan of matrix for saltwater, but purigen is an amazing product. I love the stuff.

+1 not really sure they are needed in freshwater either, if your already not getting an ammonia or nitrite reading not sure what more bio media is going to do lol.
Could just put a piece of sponge there while you figure out something more useful?

Totally not. The matrix though I'm far from sold on it being useful in saltwater applications.
But in terms of what else could go in there, I think that the filter floss or any type of similar would be the best benefit to the system in terms of pulling out the big chunks of gunk that need removed from your system. I have circular sponges that I use on my tank in my overflow before it goes down into the filter socks and towards the skimmer and media that I run in the system. Clean it out once a week by switching out the sponges that I rinse out. Not a big deal and easy step during water changes where you can even use the water change water to rinse.

Yeah, I'm quite liking the sound of a couple sponges in there...

In fact, I think I have a few spare FX6 sponges just waiting to be used.

+1 not really sure they are needed in freshwater either, if your already not getting an ammonia or nitrite reading not sure what more bio media is going to do lol.
Could just put a piece of sponge there while you figure out something more useful?

Well I don't bother testing Am or Trites so I just assume they're undetectable.

Trates have always hovered around the 1ppm mark, and that's with a Clown and a Royal Gramma as my fish stock.

I guess that's where I want to be considering I'm only keeping Softies.

I might go with the sponges.

Well I don't bother testing Am or Trites so I just assume they're undetectable.

Trates have always hovered around the 1ppm mark, and that's with a Clown and a Royal Gramma as my fish stock.

I guess that's where I want to be considering I'm only keeping Softies.

I might go with the sponges.

Want a picture lol.

Mines a 15g with an o. Clown and purple firefish, no coral yet though.

Want a picture lol.

Mines a 15g with an o. Clown and purple firefish, no coral yet though.

Ooooh! I fancied a Firefish but I'm a tad afraid of the jumping.

Anyways, a pic:

I apologise for the fact that Apple don't know how to make cameras...

At this point IMO the sponges will be mechanical(or atleast I hope you know you will need to rinse them so they don't become large nitrate factories), and would say the filter floss suggested earlier is a better choice (again IMO).
The area of a sponge to become biological is wonderful if that is what you use the sponge for.
I am the sponge guy(BIO IS BIO).
So if you will have to squeeze/rinse the sponge every week or two why not floss?
I don't run HOBs on any of my marine (all sump and all spoiled!) but I run many aquaclears on my freshwater and have filter floss on top of everything as last filter.
Really does catch some crap.
Throwing out weekly is easier IMO then rinsing,and provides perfectly clean new media.
Good luck !

The sponge suggestion isn't about the bio, it is just to catch the big chunks like filter floss. Either will work. I use a sponge just because you can't wrap filter floss around a cylinder in a HOB overflow very well.

Ooooh! I fancied a Firefish but I'm a tad afraid of the jumping.

Anyways, a pic:

I apologise for the fact that Apple don't know how to make cameras...

Very nice! Mine ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441494832.794970.jpg
Also an iPhone picture failure lol.

The sponge suggestion isn't about the bio, it is just to catch the big chunks like filter floss. Either will work. I use a sponge just because you can't wrap filter floss around a cylinder in a HOB overflow very well.

+ plus easier to clean

Back
Top Bottom