What to run in BRS dual reactor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a nitrate issue and algae issue. I may get the BRS dual reactor. I want to run GFO in one reactor, but I'm not sure of any good things to lower nitrates to put in the other. How much gfo should I use? In testing almost 0 phosphates but have a ton of algae. Idk what to do.

I run the gfo and the carbon about half full each. If you put too much of either in there they will get packed down and be less effective, especially the gfo. You need to keep the gfo turning over to keep it from packing. I have 0 nitrates and phosphates.

Alright thanks. Since I have a nitrate issue I'm thinking gfo and denitrate. Only issue is that for denitrate you need slow flow apparently like 50gph. Should I maybe run denitrate in both reactors? Or would carbon and gfo help with trates??? I really want the overall best water. Not just low trates. So I'm guessing carbon/gfo would be better cuz gfo=low phos and carbon takes out organics. So I guess I'll do that and make a RDSB and dose vinegar for trates.

Should I get it with the MJ 1200??? I don't know if it's actually good with that pump. What should I do?

I am not familiar with that pump, but if I can keep a steady flow out of a Rio pump I don't see why that one wouldn't be able to do the job...I could be quite wrong here though.

I think the only problem that I have heard about with that pump is if you have to mount the reactor too far from the sump. Mine is right next to the sump at the same level as the sump, so it doesn't have to work very hard to move the water around.

An MJ 1200 would be more than suitable but get a couple valves so you can tweak the flow. Unless your reactors are mounted on the ceiling that pump will put out to much flow so it needs to be choked back.

Still running. And very well. The nitrates are still at over 100 though. Ugh. I want the biggest filter possible lol.

It looked like this a week ago. A lot more algae now,

Attachments

• image-915039026.jpg
    image-915039026.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom