What water conditioners do you use? If any.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone uses any water conditioners for their reef. If yes, what is your preferred choice?

I use RO/DI for my reef, but my LFS uses and suggested Aquavitro Alpha. The main reasoning was not to dechlorinate, but for it's neutralizing of ammonia and Nitrate properties. Evidently, it makes fish even more happy. I just thought, why not. Does anyone else do this?

Before I get the lecture, I do 50% WCs every 2-3 weeks, so it does not substitute for my WCs.

Also I use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate my tap for my Cichlid tank, does anyone suggest something better?

I'm not sure if it's better, but I use aquasafe with stress coat ☺️ there is always going to be something "better,"I just got what was recommended online somewhere and it works pretty great so far!

I agree Sniperhawk. There is a human desire to find that one bottle of magic elixir that will cause your corals to grow explosively. I'm pretty sure there is no such chemical. The guys who have succeeded for years with their reefs rarely add much more than fresh SW and depleted elements like alk, but only added if a test shows its low. I am wary of expensive bottles of juice with pretty pictures of coral on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh for reefs whoops ? I didn't read that part haha! Don't listen to me then?

I agree Sniperhawk. There is a human desire to find that one bottle of magic elixir that will cause your corals to grow explosively. I'm pretty sure there is no such chemical. The guys who have succeeded for years with their reefs rarely add much more than fresh SW and depleted elements like alk, but only added if a test shows its low. I am wary of expensive bottles of juice with pretty pictures of coral on it.

Was curious about dechlorinator and ammonia/Nitrate neutralizing products, not really the bacteria in a bottle or trace elements. But thanks for the input.

Considering ammonia and nitrite shouldn't be in an established tank and your using ro/di there's absolutely no use for it. The lfs was most likely just trying to make a sale, products like these are how they make a majority of their money.

I never used water conditioners , I feel if it's not broke why change it
why spend unneeded cash on things you don't need like conditioners , all they do is drive the skimmer crazy ,
I can see doing this at the beginning start up but after that really no need , unless your water is that bad but with a ro/di system that's most likely not issue
if your finding ammonia/nitrates in your system more frequent water changes will help correct that with bringing them down ,

If you use RODI water, there should be no chlorine or anything else in it. It should have zero TDS. As for fish being "more happy" a better idea would be to drag over your flatscreen and play some sponge bob square pants for the tank residents ;)

If you use RODI water, there should be no chlorine or anything else in it. It should have zero TDS. As for fish being "more happy" a better idea would be to drag over your flatscreen and play some sponge bob square pants for the tank residents ;)

ha ha! Nice.

Yes, my RODI is always zero tds. Thanks for all the advice. I always thought that maybe it would help a little. Thanks again.

Chiming in late, but nope, I don't and have never added anything to my water like that. As stated above, the ro/di will remove any yuckies and leaves you with 100% pure water. No need to replenish anything at all. Anything as far as elements missing will be fixed with your salt mix. :)

As far as the cichlid tank though, since I use tap water for that tank I do use Prime and have found that to be the best product for that task.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom