Whats next for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thartsockpg

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive had my tank set up for about 5 months now and i have 1 clownfish, mushrooms, and a zoas frag. Im not sure what to get next; livestock or equipment. its a 30 gallon tank, 78watts of t5 lighting, one 1200gph powerhead, hob filter and skimmer, 17lbs live rocks. any ideas/ constructive critisism is greatly appreatiated!

If you are going to add more fish, I would add more rock. You'll have to cure it in a separate container though, or it may cause an ammonia spike.

I really the aquascape I have now. I have another tank. Could I attach to two tanks and make one like a 10g refugium tank. Would it still serve the same purpose

Yes. the rock is your natural filter. No matter where it is in the system, it will help process organics. If you are planning on more fish, they may need hiding spots and rock to graze on also. keeping a remote sump full of rock won't help with this however. Just something to think about.

I think a yellow tang would be cool. Or a Maroon clown.

the tank is way to small for a yellow tang. and i already have a occelaris clown. i dont know if a maroon clown and the occelaris woul get along. thanks for the ideas. once i upgrade i will, without a doubt get a yellow tang.

Blue chromis are great , lively , and good in groups I have 3 in my tank.
I also have a Flame angle who is fantastic , I have a few mushrooms , a Zoa frag , hammer coral( fantastic ) and sun coral and he hasn't nipped at any what so ever .
But you will need more LR for ur DT and believe me no matter how much u like it now more rock will make it look better , I have a 55g tank with 60lb of rock and considering more .
You may also want to start considering CUC like a few hermits and snails.
K I'm done now 0_o.

mr_X said:
Maybe in your fantasy troll world, but not in reality. Neither would do well in a 30 gallon.

My UN is trolli. Supposed to be a capital i, but obviously shows up as I

i would put more live rock for sure i have a 30 gallon and have 42 pounds of rock in mine. u have a sand bottom? u could do a tiger pistol shrimp a yellow watchmen goby pair up. its really cool. They house together if u want look it up on youtube.

Newfiereefer said:
Blue chromis are great , lively , and good in groups I have 3 in my tank.
I also have a Flame angle who is fantastic , I have a few mushrooms , a Zoa frag , hammer coral( fantastic ) and sun coral and he hasn't nipped at any what so ever .
But you will need more LR for ur DT and believe me no matter how much u like it now more rock will make it look better , I have a 55g tank with 60lb of rock and considering more .
You may also want to start considering CUC like a few hermits and snails.
K I'm done now 0_o.

I have considered o flame angel. They are listed as semi aggressive on live aquaria. Has yours ever nipped at other fish

honeysuckle11 said:
i would put more live rock for sure i have a 30 gallon and have 42 pounds of rock in mine. u have a sand bottom? u could do a tiger pistol shrimp a yellow watchmen goby pair up. its really cool. They house together if u want look it up on youtube.

One thing I'm set on is live rock. Unfortunately by lfs has very high rates IMO, 10/lbs. The gobys are also very interesting to watch.
Also ive been thinking of either getting a second t5 fixture or would it be better to just go straight to a LED setup?

For the light if you want to keep corals I would upgrade and get another 2 bulb fixture or get an led one if you have the cash. They run about $150 a panel on ebay.

I also like the idea of chromis. Very cute fish, they school, you can have a bunch of them and they are cheap. lol

So far for my list is another t5 fixture, cromis/flame angel, and last but not least live rock. I might be thinking of adding as well

Thartsockpg said:
I have considered o flame angel. They are listed as semi aggressive on live aquaria. Has yours ever nipped at other fish

My angel is the MOST chill fish ever ! I love him . I also have a clarkie clown who is also " semi - aggressive " but I've watch them swim together and just chill.

My angel just floats about it currents picking at the rocks as he passes by , he is very curious poking through holes in the rock I wouldn't think he could swim through :) fav fish so far :)

Attachments

• image-2407023020.jpg
    image-2407023020.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 55
They are not reef capable I read on here. For dry reef rock the petsmart by me just got in a bunch of rocks they sell. Huge ones are 20 a rock and small are like 5.

Back
Top Bottom