what's the best way to raise mag level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mag levels are 930 need to raise it but never encountered this befor and ideas its a medium stocked 55 gallon sps tank...

Fresh results this morning Sal 1.025,ph 8.0,dkh 8 , ca 340 ,mg 1140.....

Suggestions
1. Increase mag with additive and it will increase your cal
2. Your dkh is at borderline. Gradual increase of PH will raise it up. CW or apply with more water surface agitation.

I used randy Holmes DIY recipe with Epsom salt dosed 3 oz ,using his calculator I need 12 oz so I'm going to dose over a period of a few days...

I dosed 3 oz of the DIY mixture waited two hours it brought my mag up from 1140 to 1200... Also pointed a powerhead more at the service

Do you have a DSB? One issue with extra sulphor in your tank is the creation of Hydrogen Sulphide, a toxin/nerve agent that can have a disasterous effect if released in a significant quantity. It has a smell like rotten eggs and would be created in the anaerobic region of a DSB where bacteria convert nitrate into nitrogen gas, but with a sulphate present (CuSO4 left over from the Epsom salt reaction) the bacterial reaction would produce H2S and an Oxide (CuOH). the H2S could build up over time and if the DSB were to be disturbed, the possibility of a Toxic release could wipe out your tank.
The danger can be mitigated if NO DSB is present or if a DSB is left alone, and only disturbed when it is disconnected from the DT.

No deep sand bed only about 1.5 inches and my snowflake eel is constantly stiring it up so I don't think that should be a issue... I'm wandering if I should get a brs dosing kit and start dosing ... I did a 40% water change two weeks ago and my coral seem to be consumeing more then the water changes can correct... I had small monti frags which exploded in growth so I think since they are bigger I'm using more cal,alk,mg do you agree?

Hears a pic the one in the middle grew like a weed were the others seem to grow at a normal rate .....
ForumRunner_20130327_132015.jpg

Back
Top Bottom