Whats the correct amount of time to keep lights on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmye4fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard 8 hours a day is the max to keep them on. I have LED lights and also blue LED's. as of now I have it on a timer to be on 3 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening. Is this ok or could it cause confusion for the fish and coral? Thanks

I think that 8-12 hours a day is typical for a reef. If no corals, then I'd only do 8-9 hours to prevent algae. I have mine on for 12 hours, then moonlight for 2 hours after that. I haven't had any problems with algae with that schedule.

I had my reef tank at 12 hours on with 15min of actinic before and after lights are on. But that led to algae problems, so I cut back to 11hours with 30 mins of actinic before and after lights come on.

I've heard 8 hours a day is the max to keep them on. I have LED lights and also blue LED's. as of now I have it on a timer to be on 3 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening. Is this ok or could it cause confusion for the fish and coral? Thanks

Photosynthesis takes 6 hours so if you have this type of coral thats what you need any more than that is preference i run actinics starting at noon till 9 pm and mh 1-7 all sps with great results

Cool. Thanks for the info! I noticed the first few days I started getting some algae on the tank, then after cutting the time of lights back to 8 hours I haven't had a problem. I guess I could experiment with it little by little.

Back
Top Bottom