What's up with the Trigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queenvee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I added a humu humu this weekend. Quite suddenly, I've lost two snails and a yellow tail, who appeared a little savaged.

I've seen(out of the corner of my eye) the Trigger toying with the snail's shell.

Is it possible the trigger is harrassing the others to DEATH? I've checked compatibility. I have less than ten inches of fish in 55 gallons. Water quality is great.

If he was toying with the shells. then he was probobly the culprit. Compatibility with a trigger depends wholly on that particular fish. One person will just have the sweetest thing that just eats out of your hand, and one will have the holy terror worst triggerfish that ate EVERYTHING in the tank including rocks :wink: That is how it goes with triggers.

huma huma triggers love to eat snails because they eat inverts. he just doing what they naturally do. inverts. our nice little snacks for them.

The reason why he appeared to be playing with the shells is that there was still parts of the snail in the shell. He was just trying to get every little bit out.

I wouldn't say he was harrassing, he was really just hunting. :twisted:

Compatiability isn't just tank size for fish, its also what fish will get along with other fish.

Triggers are very smart fish, some will blow jet streams of water into the substrate in search for food. (mainly seen from the Bluelined Triggerfish)

If you want to keep snails with your trigger, the best way is to keep your trigger full, and then again thats not a guarantee.

Hope this helps

oh my goodness, you've described him very well.

he may not have savaged the damsel. he may have been snacking post-mortem.

the bad part is the snails take care of my massive diatom problem.

thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom