When are my nitrite readings going to drop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Good Crab

Aquarium Advice Regular
Into my 6TH day of readings of over 6 ppm. I'd like to get a cleaning crew in here already!! Place is a mess...

LiveROCK-3-14-06-008.jpg

You NO2 will go down. Once NH3 and NO2 are at zero, do a sizable water change with RO/DI water and you will see a dramatic imporivement in the algae. Nice rock, BTW.

Thanks, guy's and gals...

Got home from work, checked my water, and guess what? Nitrite GONE--Nitrate at 25 mg/I

I am ready for my first addition. Which will be a clean-up crew.

Do I do a water change now?

Also--how does one lure a Gorilla Crab out of a crevice in my rock--I have two!

Do a nice size water change now to lower nitrates.
You may get lucky with trapping the crab with a tilted glass. Put a piece of shrimp or some other fleshy food in the bottom and tilt the glass. The crab shouldn't be able crawl up out a smooth sided glass. This would be the best time to try and trap them as well, before adding any clean up critters. Any cleanup critters you add now will no doubt get trapped in the glass instead of the crab. He should be good and hungry after a cycle. Good luck.

Good Crab said:
Thanks, guy's and gals...

Got home from work, checked my water, and guess what? Nitrite GONE--Nitrate at 25 mg/I

I am ready for my first addition. Which will be a clean-up crew.

Do I do a water change now?

Also--how does one lure a Gorilla Crab out of a crevice in my rock--I have two!

OK--thanks, Cindy.

Let me make sure I understand what you said about trapping the bad crab.

Put a clear smooth glass in the bottom of the tank leaning and tilted againt the rock where these pests are hiding, with food at the bottom (shrimp). Are you saying that when the crab gets to the bottom of the glass to retrieve the food he'll never make it back OUT of the glass because of the incline going back up?

Clever!!!!

off topic, but can you please tell me what type of rok you purchased from them? im upgrading to a 55 and i really like that rock. ive been to the site and dont know what kind that is that you have. TIA.

If the glass is tall enough, he shouldn't be able to climb out the smooth sides. Good luck. :)
You may also get lucky by looking at night for him. When he leaves the rock, scoop him out. I've done this.

Fluff said:
If the glass is tall enough, he shouldn't be able to climb out the smooth sides. Good luck. :)
You may also get lucky by looking at night for him. When he leaves the rock, scoop him out. I've done this.

So I have to stake this thing out all night with all the lights out? OK--LoL

But then how will *I* see it??? Shoud I leave my moon-lights on?

vsnsofadrgn said:
off topic, but can you please tell me what type of rok you purchased from them? im upgrading to a 55 and i really like that rock. ive been to the site and dont know what kind that is that you have. TIA.

All the rock they sell is like this. It is Aquacultured off shore in the Gulf of Mexico on their Live Rock Farm...

Go HERE and watch the video--very interesting.

thanks, ive seen the video. ive watched it a few times since i live right in tampa, its nice to see what ive seen in real life. when i go to order, it has a pull list, there is base rock, coral rock, and deco rock, i was just wondering which you chose. i suppose i can prolly save some on shipping and go in, but your rock is SO beautiful and id love to have it in my tank, i really like the colors, so i was just trying to find out before i went or ordered online....:)

vsnsofadrgn said:
thanks, ive seen the video. ive watched it a few times since i live right in tampa, its nice to see what ive seen in real life. when i go to order, it has a pull list, there is base rock, coral rock, and deco rock, i was just wondering which you chose. i suppose i can prolly save some on shipping and go in, but your rock is SO beautiful and id love to have it in my tank, i really like the colors, so i was just trying to find out before i went or ordered online....:)

I know that their Package comes with ALL deco rock. email them--they respond.

Back
Top Bottom