When Blennies attack, again and again and again....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well my sailfin blenny decided to bite my hand AGAIN because my hand was a little too close to his precious algae while I was moving corals, and this time I jerked my hand back so fast that my elbow broke the center brace on the 55 gallon tank (it was already cracked from UV light and stress). The brace broke away, the glass bowed out and I had a moment of mild panic.

I made a new brace and squared it up, with some cutting, drilling glueing and plastic work it's good to go again.

I wish I could learn not to jerk my hand back when I get bitten, because I usually scrape my arm on the tank or knock stuff over when he bites me. What the heck am I going to have to do from now on, wear Kevlar sleeves?

Argh! Well I have to respect his tenacity, the little blankety blank has some real cojones.

Lol, I do the same thing. My bi-color blenny attacks anything that invades on his algae or favorite hole in the LR. I recently got a pair of elbow gloves so I don't have to worry about anything pinchin/biting/stinging me or possilbly getting anything else from the tank.

The bites do not hurt reefraff.... they are just a heck of a surprise. He sort of slams into you when he bites so it's a substantial sort of feeling. It's just weird. Hard to explain. like if someone licked their finger and smacked you with it hard. Heh!

jamal I should get some of those gloves.. that is a good idea I think I will order some. That will save on the tank's health a little too (contaminants on skin)

Agreed.... it's just a knee jerk reaction though... I'd have to go through specialized blenny-biting training sessions to sufficiently minimize my reaction to it. Perhaps some therapy is in order. :p

LOL I just looked up a pic of a mimic blenny and it looks like it has an attitude! hehe

Mabye you should return it if its to much for you to handle. Sorry to seem harsh, but I can't believe you almost broke your tank over a tiny fish bite.

Six-Line said:
Mabye you should return it if its to much for you to handle. Sorry to seem harsh, but I can't believe you almost broke your tank over a tiny fish bite.

It's just a reaction, it has happened to me as well. Haven't you ever been startled over something little or stupid?

This was my friends mimic that got pawned to him as a regular cleaner. As a way of telling, the mimic blennie has a more shark-like jaw with the upper jaw larger than the lower jaw. The normal cleaner has both lips of an equal proportion. It's a good thing to know.

LOL! bees.... ack!

Hey 6line read a little slower and try to appreciate the humor a little better?

I've been burnt, run over, cut up, major car accident(s) blown off a roof and broken bones, cut up all the tendons in my hand and been kicked in the face by a quarter horse to name a few things.................

My ornery little blenny just makes me jump, get it?

Good grief!!! :roll:

When blennies Attack
Answering the question that has plauged man for centuries
Will Fox air anything?

Six-Line said:
Wow....cheer up guy were all friends....

Ok like I said I didn't mean to offend you. Just if I had broke my tank from a tiny fish I would probably beat myself up for many days. :scatter: Anyways glad to see you fixed it safely. Sorry if I seemed rude.

LOL well I'm taking it as another reason to get a blenny. Will lawnmower's act the same way? Anything that is that worried about eating tis alge is A-O-K with me!! I think it adds to the danger factor of the tank! :wink:

Your lucky...my sail fin blenny hides if he sees movement in the room, he sure doesn't have the balls to come out if i have my arm in the tank

I also had a fish which bit bit me, a percula clown! I had to get arm length gloves, it helped a lot. Glad you got your tank fixed! :D

Thanks guys, I'll concentrate a little harder on that bugger so he does not surprise me as much next time. LOL

I also had a fish which bit bit me, a percula clown

Mine does that all the time, My f. percs also will swim into my hand, I can almost take them out of the tank in my hand. They show no fear. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom