when to add or top off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inspire0522

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi everyone... my tank is in its second week of cycle. Its a 10g tank 10p of ls and 15p of lr. my readings as of now are amm .5 Nitrite .25 ( dropping)and Nitrate 20... i have not added any water as of yet. My question is- is it the right time to add water to top it off or do a small water change... or should i not do anything at this time. Also i have a brown almost rusty color algae growing on the lr and ls is this ok?
Thanks

Attachments

• r6_021.jpg
    r6_021.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 99
I don't know about adding water/water changes in a fishless cycle but I can tell you, only because someone else here answered the question for me, diatom algae is part of the cycle and will go away on its own. I think it's a good sign that your tank is close to being fully cycled. Anyone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong...

I am runnung a Mini Aqualight by CoraLife for about 8hrs a day.. should i not be? The lr lost its bad smell and water temp stays about 78 - 80F. The water level has gone down i would say more then 3g. When the time comes to add water should i take some out or just top it off since its already 30% lower? Thanks again

1 yellow clown Goby
1 blue hermit

The purpose of the water change is to remove nitrates from the water, so just topping it off wont help you. Its probably a better idea to not let it get down in level(keep adding fresh), so that when you do a change its not too drastic. In order to get some nitrates out you would have to pull more water out in addition to the 3g added.

You should add fresh water to account for the evaporation. Don't do a salt water change until the cycle is complete.

If you have livestock in the tank, you could do a water change to keep Ammonia down but it will prolong the cycle. Should wait until after the cycle to add livestock.

My evaportion takes out alot of water each night.. is this normal? I notice that the water in the sump goes down a good bit, I thought that it was the pump taking more out so I played with the prefilter and it still dropped... my temp stays at around 79* at night.

water evaporates, you can't stop it. I have to add nearly a gallon a day to my tank, as its open top and evaporates even faster.

Ideally you should top off twice a day if you have evaporation like that. in the a.m. and again in the evening. This way your SG isn't bouncing around so much, which more sensitive inverts won't like.

okie dokie.. my last bit of lr comes today so I will add more water then.. I'm using an eggcrate on my tank so I guess I am getting alot of evaporation.. I just have to topoff with tapwater so that sucks..lol.. when I see my phosphates starting to rise I'm gonna buy a RO/DI unit from Lowes..

should you top off your tank with premixed saltwater or freshwater?

always fresh because the salt doesnt evaporate with the water. if you were to add salt water you would increase your SG (= bad)

heh i'm glad i asked i was gonna be topping off with saltwater

okie dokie.. my last bit of lr comes today so I will add more water then..

I would add the water first. When you add the rock, water will be displaced and you might not "need" water anymore. I would get the SG right first, then remove water if needed while adding the rock. With a sump, this will not be too big of a deal but you can overfill a sump too.

Dont top off with Salt water. Top off with fresh water. When water evaporates, the salt does not.

Back
Top Bottom