Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When to introduce the Protein Skimmer?

Rookie here......1st saltwater tank is 25 gal. Fusion Pro. just filled 12 days ago.

I know the skimmer's importance, but I am noticing a film on the water, almost from the very beginning. I did use RO water.
I did use live sand but not live rock. I used Dr. Tim's tank bacteria too.(I think that was the name).

Anyway at what point is it best to introduce a protein skimmer to the tank? Should I wait until the tank cycles completely? and then should I install a skimmer before any cleanup crew or fish? or wait even longer?

I googled this and didn't get much info that I need......

Old 10-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The film on the surface is a sign of not enough water movement from your powerheads. Try to point them up so you get plenty of surface agitation, and this will also help your gas/air exchange to help create a higher and more stable PH level.

Skimmer- yes, let the tank fully cycle. Iíd invest in a low range PO4 and NO3 test kit, I like the Red Sea Pro. Once youíre cycled, and begin a feeding regimen for your livestock, that would be a good time to start the skimmer up. If you donít quite have a bioload, your skimmer will not produce anything. Keep an eye on your PO4 and NO3 levels. Youíll want to keep these numbers in check, and this will ultimately help determine water change needs, feeding schedule, amount, etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have a nuvo 20 and honestly you really donít need a skimmer in that size tank. Most of the hob skimmers are worthless and will cause more headache than theyíre worth. Investing in good kits and keeping up on water changes will serve you well.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I donít run a skimmer on my 20cube aio either. Water changes will be adequate for nutrient control.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If you decide to go with a skimmer, don't skimp on one. Cheap ones will simply waste your money.
Make sure you have 1 lbs per gallon in the tank so you have enough surface area for the beneficial bacteria to live on.
But when it comes to running a skimmer during your cycle or not, I was taught that it won't do anything harmful. Now, how they work tell me that it should lengthen the cycle process, but if someone is getting a brand new skimmer and it needs to break in and get rid of the natural oils from manufacturing...then one might as well run the skimmer during the cycle. It won't be running right from the gate and needs about 3 weeks-ish to work correctly. About the length of time of an average cycle.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #6
SW REEF 20+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
I donít run a skimmer on my 20cube aio either. Water changes will be adequate for nutrient control.

For twenty gallons this is true

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intro, protein, protein skimmer, rot, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com