Where did my feather duster go???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK so one of my big feather dusters vanished yesterday.....was there in the morning, now I have just an empty tube. I had just moved it the night before. I've only got two small crabs and a small 6 line wrasse in the tank....the other duster is fine, and I found absolutely no evidence of "pieces" anywhere....could he have left the tube and is hiding in the substrate?? The tank does smell a little like low tide which also makes me nervous.....

If they are not in a "comfortable" place (lots of current, with protection provided for the tube) The tubeworms can and will relocate themselves, typically discarding the old tube, only to make a new one.

I have read that they can leave their tube if stressed. If he's still alive, he can build a new tube. The wrasse or crabs may try to eat him, but hopefully you'll see him soon!

You stated in your post that you had moved him the night before. Evidently he did not like it where he was moved to.

Ok, that makes me feel a little better....I really didn't want the poor guy to get eaten by anything! It's amazing, though, that a 3" worm can hide to the point of invisibility in such a small tank.

Bristleworms? hah....not with a 6 line wrasse! he eats anything moving that he can fit in his mouth, and a few things he can't! Fortunately my dusters are bigger than he is, and he ignores them completely; I don't think they move enough and are just more of the scenery to the wrasse.

OK, so still no duster.....I'm starting to think that he really has gone to the fishtank in the sky... How long should it take a duster to make a new tube if in fact he's still in there?

Try moving the old tube back to its old location? if he is stil; searchin for a spot, he may revisit it?

ah, didnt realize it was a nano :/ Sorry for your loss then man :( Those feather dusters look really nice.

Back
Top Bottom