Where do I place certain Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my 225 gallon tank this past July. As I am buying more coral, I am not sure where to place sps vs lps. High light, high flow? I just don't know. I just bought a beautiful ellegance coral, different people say keep it low while others say high.... How do I know what to do aside from taking it all in, and figuring it out for myself? I'dlike to keep it all alive. I guess I'm just looking for themost conservative approach dealing with corals. Thank you,
Bryan

The only advice I can give is to try them out in different places and observe. Obviously, softies & LPS go lower (or more shaded) than SPS, but there are no "rules" for it. I usually try to gauge where to start things out based on my lighting compared to where I got them from. This is a lot easier when dealing with fellow hobbyists. They usually can give you a good idea of where to start them. If you get them from an LFS, it can be a crap shoot since the coral may not have been in a stable environ for quite some time. Where ever they seem happiest are where they should be.

Welcome to AA! :)

Welcome! I dont have much insite here but I would love to see some pics of your tank!

Good luck. Elegance in recent years don't seem to last too long. It needs to go at the bottom where when it expands, it doesn't rub anything like rocks. Not sure you can do that when placed high on the rocks. Plus light acclimation usually starts at the bottom and moves corals up. But this one I think this needs to stay on the bottom.

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
Lighting: Requires moderate to strong lighting.
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Water Current: Elegance corals prefer low to moderate water flow. Optimum water flow is enough to lightly wave its tentacles. They will tolerate stronger water flows, but will expand less and the tentacles will become stubbier as shown in the picture to the right.[/FONT]

Maintenance and care – The Elegance Coral is an excellent addition to reef tanks, during the day this coral will expand to twice its usual size, it is mostly recommended to place it on soft substrate away
from other corals otherwise it will sting other corals in close proximity to it.Clownfish may accept this coral as its host if no anemone is present
Lighting- Moderate
Water flow- Low to Medium

this is what i found from two different sites... whenever i am curious about any coral or fish i just google its name then care eg) elegance coral care

I usually find many sites just like these that are very helpful

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it

If you go to a place like Liveaquaria they give placements for all their corals. That would be a good place to start and then tweak things as you see fit. I really like HN1`s post. Good info there.

Back
Top Bottom