Where to buy lighting timers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where would I find lighting timers - radio shack, walmart, home depot?

I want to control two pc light strips separately and two moon lights together so I'll have four power cords and essentially 3 devices- any brand recommendations?

I bought mine from Wal-Mart. They are the older analog dial kind. They were around $6 a piece. You can also buy the electronic ones, but they are usually triple the cost of the analog ones.

Sea Cat said:
Go here http://www.captivereefs.com/captivereefs/detailcat.asp?CatID=lt-ac&SubCatID=lt-time

or here http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28709;category_id=2967

Same product. The first link is from a sponsor of AA, and the other is just a good price. Also, Captive Reefs has a 6%(?) discount for AA forum members last time I checked. I believe the coupon code was aquariumadvice.

It says it has 4 timer controlled outlets. I noticed in the picture the two are yellow and two are blue - I'm assuming to indicate day and night. Do all four operate independantly or in pairs? I need to operate 3 seperate timers. One for 10,000K, one for actinic, and one for moon lights (two plugs for theses). Would the coralife strip do the job? I wish I had seen that earlier - I have an order from captviereefs ariving tomorrow. :lol:

Don't wanna leave the moonlights on 24/7?

I got the $7 HD ones a few of them none has failed yet even after a few years. I'd just grab a few of those. Also if you have to many plugs and not enough timers just get a spliter they are all going into the same circit anyway

the moonlight LEDS are rated for 500000-60000 hours of use. so if you leave them on it will be years before they burn out.

great I was just at home depot and needed to get another one and forgot till I saw this thread. I think the timers from home depot or walmart will do fine just make sure if your plug is 3 pronged to get a timer that is grounded usually the heavy duty ones are 3 prong

Already ordered the Coralights strip from captivereefs - I needed another powerstrip anyway - well, I will after all my new toys arive tomorrow anyway! :wink:

I've gone through a few of those analog heavy duty grounded timers. They just stop working after a while. The ones I like now which are double the cost @ $20 each are the Intermatic DT17 Heavy duty grounded digital timer. It rates at 1850 watt resistive @ 15 amps. Plus you can program each day different if you choose and there is no mechanical plastic gears that go clunk to turn timed switch on and off. You can find them in HD or Lowes.

I've been using the coralife for a while now. It works great. You can program the pairs to switch up to every 15 minutes if you want, and has 4 always on.

Back
Top Bottom