Which Anemone Is Right For Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Genix

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 15 gallon tall, and it will soon be under coralife 96watt power compacts. i need a host anemone for ocellaris clowns. something colorfull or even white is prefered, as it will be the centerpiece of my tank. also, what kinds of water quality changes are they most sensitive to? thanks for the help. :)

It may be tough to keep in a 15 gallon. Make sure you have a well established tank. I'd recommend a bubble-tip anemone though (BTA) either white or red/rose. If you can find one captive bred they seem to be more stable in changing water conditions. I got 1 RBTA in my 33 gallon and has since been splitting so I no have 4 RTBAs in my 33g. They host a maroon clown. Very nice to keep though.

Good luck

How long has the tank been established? Typically you will want your system to be mature up to 6 months before adding an Anemone, and make sure your water quality is up to par.

Mike

I really cant see an anemone of any species thriving in a 15 gallon aquarium. Anemones need a fairly stable salinity, ph, calcium, etc, etc not to mention nearly perfect water that is somewhat near free of nitrates. Keeping such values in perfect adjustment in a mere 15 gallons of water seems almost impossible to me since daily there are bound to be fluctuations. While I have heard of BTA's doing alright in smaller tanks this is not without risk since if the Anemone where to die the heavy pollution may be enough to kill all the inhabitants of such a small tank.

Also like Salttanker said a tank with 6 months or more maturity is needed before keeping an anemone - in that size tank I would give it some careful thought.

Back
Top Bottom