Which is better, the True Perc or the False Clownfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you like more True or False Percula Clownfish?

• Total voters
It is not a real clownfish. It hardly ever accepts anemones because of this. I have bred Ocellaris and currently have True Percs and the trues are honestly better. They have a darker orange, also much more vibrant while the ocellaris tends to have a orange peel color. However occelaris are easier to take care of making them very good starting fish. However, if you have a well developed aquarium the True Perc is the choice to go with.

It is not a real clownfish. It hardly ever accepts anemones because of this.
REally... Hm. I could swear I got a false perc that just adores my bubble tip. Took to it within minutes of introducting the clown to the tank.

My understanding is the visual differeance is the false has a thinner white stripe. I wasnt aware they where not clowns. :?:

My false perc's have taken to bta's as well as sebae. I have a friend who has one that adores his lta. Go figure.

I like the thicker black lines on the true percs. I also had an ocellaris that my Rose BTA hosted.

I have BTA, condy in my tank for months. My false Perc did not pick them, instead, she picked the Colt :lol: . They are happy with each other. Little strange....

Yes, sorry for being misdirecting. They are known not to take in an anemone as often as true percs at least for me. Good job with you guys having better luck.

From About.com

"Amphiprion ocellaris is nearly identical, but has 11 (rarely 10) dorsal spines compared to 10 (rarely 9) in A. percula; the spinous (anterior) part of the dorsal fin of A. ocellaris is taller (its height fits about 2.1-2.9 in the head length compared to 3.1-3.3 in A. percula); A. ocellaris never has a thick black margin around the white bars. These two species do not have overlapping distributions."

I have a mated pair of True percs that I got as juveniles almost two years ago.

PumaKrieg said:
It is not a real clownfish. It hardly ever accepts anemones because of this.

I'd like you to expand on your first statement above. Please provide either the name of a book (including author please) or a reputable web link that will back up this information. More than one source would be good.

Ocellaris Clownfish are in the genus Amphiprion along with Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula), Maroon Clownfish (Amphiprion tricinctus) and every other clownfish with the exception of the spine-cheek anemonefish (Premnas biaculeatus).
source: The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium by Vincent Hargreaves

Ocellaris clowns host in carpet anemones (Macrodactyla sp.)and Heteractus magnifica.
Source: About.com salwater fish profile

That have been said, Pumakreig has admitted to being wrong, and I vote for stopping the beatdown.

Sorry to hear about the hurricane damage. My dad had 3 trees fall into the house I grew up in by Jacksonville. Bummer :cry:

i believe the maroon is the same as the spine-cheek clownfish, the maroon is in the premnas family because it is the only clownfish to have spines. Both the white and yellow stripe maroon are Premnas biaculeatus

Back
Top Bottom