which is the best skimmer out there for 220 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
In your experience - which is the best skimmer out there for 220 gallon tank?

I think I want to buy a new one but cannot decide which one?

any ideas?

I was thinking one that clears up to 300 gallons or more..

what are your thoughts?

I just bought an eshopps psk 150 for my 75 gallon. It was a lot cheaper than the other choices, but pulls some NASTY stuff out of my water. It wasn't very difficult calibrate either. The psk 300 would be the size you're looking for.

tjm80 said:
I just bought an eshopps psk 150 for my 75 gallon. It was a lot cheaper than the other choices, but pulls some NASTY stuff out of my water. It wasn't very difficult calibrate either. The psk 300 would be the size you're looking for.

How long have u had the tank ?

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

IMO octopus brand is the best. Google them and you`ll see what they have for your size tank. I personally use the excalibur brand.

melosu58 said:
IMO octopus brand is the best. Google them and you`ll see what they have for your size tank. I personally use the excalibur brand.

What is IMO?

;()

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

hackteck said:
IMO = in my opinion

:;) ok

Started cycling at the beginning of February, had a pretty quick cycle, and now I have 6 fish and some zoas. 0 ammonia, 0 trites, and <10ppm nitrates.

Are skimmers usually active ? Bubbling all the time? Constantly or cam it b your tank is so clean there nothing to skim out?

My skimmer is constantly making bubbles but depending on how I adjust it will dictate how much gunk I get.

carey said:
My skimmer is constantly making bubbles but depending on how I adjust it will dictate how much gunk I get.

My skimmer makes small bubbles constantly... They go mid way into the collection cup tunnel but dont seem to pull up much or any guck... Should I b concerned?

What skimmer do you have? I use a remora and I just adjust the cup up or down to get more or less gunk. Is it a new skimmer? Mine took a few weeks to fully break in and bring up yucky stuff.

It's about four years old..

It's a pro clear aquatics 250 skimmer

This is it...

Attachments

• image-3151353894.png
    image-3151353894.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 119
I'm not sure about that one, can you adjust it up and down? I'm sure someone will come along who has the same one. :)

carey said:
I'm not sure about that one, can you adjust it up and down? I'm sure someone will come along who has the same one. :)

Yes , I can adjust the air flow n water.... This an actual pic of it skimming ...

It's bubbling alot but it looks too wet... not foamy dry

Attachments

• image-729650302.jpg
    image-729650302.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1609197594.jpg
    image-1609197594.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 109
If you don't have the bubbles set high enough your collection cup will sit empty. But if you have them set too high it will flood quickly. It's a delicate balance. lol

But I would assume if you have any livestock, and are feeding said livestock, then you would constantly be collecting skimmate. I just cleaned mine out at lunch and gagged. It was horrible.

In your experience - which is the best skimmer out there for 220 gallon tank?

I think I want to buy a new one but cannot decide which one?

any ideas?

I was thinking one that clears up to 300 gallons or more..

what are your thoughts?

Now that is a loaded question if I have ever seen one....what is your budget?

you got this
RE-D250-EX Premium Aquatics - RE-D250-EX Aquarium Supplies

to this
CV-SRO-3000INT Premium Aquatics - CV-SRO-3000INT Aquarium Supplies

I use a octopus extreme skimmer on my 120 gal and could not imagine a skimmer doing a better job. I get about 1/2 cup of coffee looking skimmate every day

I like that octopus 300... May consider .. Don't want to spend more than 500.. But do want a pretty good one

Psssss Just when I'm thinking to replace the skimmer.. It now seems to b working fine..... But I think I'll change it anyway n save for backup or something

Back
Top Bottom