which to use for calcium dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been using Seachem Calcium suppliment to dose twice a week. The bottle I have says it "raises calcium, and has magnesium and strontium". I'm running low, so when I went to get some more, there was another bottle right next to it that simply said it was to "maintain calcium".

Does anyone have any experience between the two? They're the same price, so I'm just wondering which is best for bi-weekly dosing. Other than the Mg and Str, what do they do different to "raise" or "maintain"?

Thanks.
Matt

EBR said:
Other than the Mg and Str, what do they do different to "raise" or "maintain"?
Nothing really. The Reef Advantage Calcium is generally best used with it's counterpart, Reef Carbonate. The Reef Calcium is simpley a CaCl only solution.

Cheers
Steve

I use the seachem product in my 29G. Its great. When you elevate the alk to around 9 - 11dkh and get the ca at about 400 - 450, man the caralline takes off. I cannot comment on the other product as in my main tank I use Kalk. Though I suspect the over all success of the seachem product is that your adding 3 main trace elements that are typically depleted or over looked. You should test and see where your at. If you decide to switch (And hey, why mess with success ; ) I would test often to see if one of the other params start to slip..

GL!

Steve-s and PC -- many thanks for the sanity check. I do use the reef carbonate as well, and like you say, PC, why mess with success?

Jonathan -- sorry, never heard of aragamilk, but see that (gotta love Google) that it does pretty much the same thing, right?

Matt

Back
Top Bottom