which Wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
With my recent loss of my Christmas wrasse, (I think he hid too much and never ate) i would still like to add a wrasse to my tank. I was debating out of either a blue head or a jansens wrasse. I was wondering what everybody else thought about their behaviours and colors or if they have had expeirence with either of these. Or if somebody has a suggestion of another wrasse that will go in a semiaggressive tank.
Thanks
Christina

cleaner wrasses

Bad advice, I can't believe you just recommended a cleaner wrasse. They have a horrible record in captivity with some 90% dieing. They are specific parasite eaters, and generally will not eat prepared foods. I think we need the size of your tank to recommend a wrasse that will not get to big..

I was looking to do something different, I have the availablitly to get whatever I want, I work at a tropical fish store, so they will order things. We currently have the jansens in and I like the blue head. I was looking for something colorful and with blue or yellow, (I don't have those colors).
No it is not a reef tank and I already unsuccesfully had a cleaner wrasse, had some parasites thought I would give it a chance even though I know they are difficult and it did not live.

Thanks
Christina

hey don't worry not everybody does, no biggy. Now you know for yourself too. My other prob is I don't want to get one that small b/c I have porc puffer and I don't want him to eat it. But thank you for your ideas.

Christina

Bad advice, I can't believe you just recommended a cleaner wrasse.

8O 8O 8O

Remove that first line, and you have made a point without offending anyone. The first line, however, tends to close peoples minds, and your message falls on deaf ears. Rather than explain why cleaner wrasses are a bad idea, all they can think of is how you slapped that person down. That is unacceptable here, take that attitude to ReefCentral :roll:

I did not mean for this to cause a problem i just wanted some peoples opinions. I am sorry!

Christina

Please don't feel this is your fault. This post was reported to me by pm, and when I read it, something needed to be said. I apologize that it intruded on your thread.

ok So that all said and done. Any opinions on the fish????

Christina

I'm partial to the fairy wrasses myself. IMO, most wrasses will do OK in a semi-aggressive tank cause they are so fast. Some of the wrasses are also considered semi-aggressive or aggressive themselves. There are many of the Thallasoma sp (spelling?) that are quite beautiful and would fit right in.

tuwhada said:
I was looking for something colorful and with blue or yellow
Thalasoma lunare
lunare.jpg

you know we had a hardwicke at the store and it died, I don't recall it being that colorful as the one in the picture plus it hid ALOT!!!

But maybe I will consider that one thanks.

Christina

I know that when I worked for the LFS, the wholesalers used to sell us a Hardwicke wrasse, that WAS NOT T. hardwicke. Can't remember which species it was, but wasn't the fish pictured above. It is also my experience that any wrasse has a good possibility for hiding for a few days to a week when first placed in the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom