white particles in my saltmix water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I switched from using reef crystals back to regular IO. I had a few cups of RC left and mixed it in with the IO. It seemed to mix just fine. I mix about 15 gallons at a time and keep it in a 30 gallon container for use in my 20 gallon tank. I did my 5 gallon water change today and afterwards noticed small white particles floating around in the water in the 30 gallon container. I didn't see any particles when I did my water change in my tank. Any idea what this could be...By the way, it had been mixing for 3 days with a power head in the container.

Calcium carbonate perhaps ? Are the calcium or Alk levels a bit high?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It could be a number of things. Is your water full of calcium like mine? If you've had the storage container while it could be attaching to the sides then flaking off when you disturb it. I've also had a few times where not all the salt mixes and some of it floats around the tank for a while.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's small little particles, my best guess would be un-mixed salt left in your jugs! Sometimes as the salt gets older it may not mix like when you first bought it and some salt is left floating around.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom