Who Has Azure Damselfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Who has an azure damselfish can you tell me about its habits and its aggression. What is in the tank with it? how big is the tank? I am just trying to find some info because everything Iv i read says they should be fine in my tank however people on this site feel that they are extreamly aggressive and would kill the other fish in the tank.

My opinion if it has the word damsel in his name stay away! My favorite damsel is the talbots.

yep, so saying the damsel name in the name is a bad thing isn't aways true. all fish can be aggressive its all up to the individual fish and some damsels are not so bad, some are. some have had success with them others have had horror stories happen, its just your call what you want to do and how stocked you want to be and what sized tank you want to put them in. generally a larger tank would be better as there is more space to roam and if there are alot of fish they may be less likely to get mean as there is more of a community then in a smaller tank with only a few fish

Last edited:
Who has an azure damselfish can you tell me about its habits and its aggression. What is in the tank with it? how big is the tank? I am just trying to find some info because everything Iv i read says they should be fine in my tank however people on this site feel that they are extreamly aggressive and would kill the other fish in the tank.

I have a pair of azure damsels (had them since 2006). They've lived with a royal gramma for the entire time and with a tailspot blenny for several years in a 65gal reef tank without any notable aggression issues.

I initially started with a trio azure damsels but there was much aggression between two of the three so the third was relocated into a different tank. This was the only serious aggression issue I've seen among them. If I didn't relocate the 3rd azure the aggressor would have killed it for sure. The remaining pair have done very very well together over the years.

Early on I also had a very tiny neon velvet damsel (about the size of a U.S. nickel) in the same tank. The azure's did harass this fish a bit but that stopped immediately when the neon velvet equalled them in size (this damsel now resides in another tank and is several times the size of an azure and much more aggressive than the azure's have ever been).

The azure's have proven to be the least aggressive damsel species of the damsels I've kept (blue devils, neon velvet, two-stripe); the two stripe damsel (Dascyllus reticulatus) was the most aggressive damsel species I've ever kept.

Azure damsel
img_1648350_0_60f178afb4cd8338b148e8ea9f905dad.jpg

I had an azure damsel and he was definitely a bully. After 3 months of running everything away from the middle of the tank he went back to the lfs. I have two ocellaris clowns and I love them, and I have 3 green chromis and they are as far from aggressive as any fish I’ve seen. Certainly not all damsels are bad fish, but you have to be careful because they can be aggressive.

I had one, bullied both my clowns and my bicolor blenny. I think that if the word damsel IS in the name, not classification, runs a higher risk of aggression. Also had a domino damsel and it was aggressive too

i've had four differant damsels and they all went back to the store.black velvet killed four royal grammas i two days

Back
Top Bottom