Who here doesn't quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it better to keep a QT up and running all the time, or just start when a couple weeks ahead of a new addition? I know that doesn't work for sick fish, since you won't have time to plan ahead for it.

Also, do you need to quarantine corals, or just dip them?

I have a spare 10 gallon tank/heater/powerheads that I could use if a permanent QT is the recommended route. Is anything needed in a permanent setup besides topoff, since it's going to be empty most of the time?

just have a heater and a powerhead in the QT tank will suffice. during the weeks that you don't have a fish in it, throw in some fish food to keep the bb happy.

for corals, dip them is sufficient IMO

just have a heater and a powerhead in the QT tank will suffice. during the weeks that you don't have a fish in it, throw in some fish food to keep the bb happy.

for corals, dip them is sufficient IMO

Thanks...also, does the QT need live rock? If so, I'm assuming for a 10 gallon, since it's just a QT, a 5lb chunk would be enough...

Thanks...also, does the QT need live rock? If so, I'm assuming for a 10 gallon, since it's just a QT, a 5lb chunk would be enough...

rocks are good, if you have some spare or you're willing to spent more money. they provide hiding spots for the new fish, just like in your main tank, and serve as a stress reliever. but if you don't have any rocks (assuming your tank is cycled), you can always buy some 4-5inch pvc pipes and put them in there. they serve the same purpose (hiding spot that is)

I was using the PVC, but now have rock. It's just never leaving that tank. I'm not sure the fish care one way or the other though, as long as they have a place to hide when needed.

I was using the PVC, but now have rock. It's just never leaving that tank. I'm not sure the fish care one way or the other though, as long as they have a place to hide when needed.

+1

People commonly keep a tear down tank handy to set up and QT fish when needed. PVC is the most common decoration for that because it's easy to clean.

That is exactly why I went from PVC to rock. I figure I wi be QTing all the upcoming fish for my 240g, so I've got a 45g set up for that now that will stay running until the 240 is fully stocked.

I figured the rock was more for the BB than the fish (though I see that part, too). With no rock and just PVC, we're relying on the BB in the water column? (Assuming no live sand, either).

I figured the rock was more for the BB than the fish (though I see that part, too). With no rock and just PVC, we're relying on the BB in the water column? (Assuming no live sand, either).

BBs are everywhere, the water, glass, rock, and yes even PVCs. the reason why people use rock is because it's porous, thus able to "hold" more BBs than a smooth surface

I QT all my fish now!!! I just got into saltwater about 10 months ago and the second fish I put in got ich and being new I started reading and found out about a QT which I new nothing about until then. So I set up a 20g with heater filter and PVC I put my fish in and had to do a lot of water changes because it was new now I just let it run and do hypo on all my new fish.

Back
Top Bottom