Who's Got The Oldest and Biggest Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
So reaching out to you truely experienced reefers of many yrs.. who's got the oldest coral? (little history on it would be nice lol)
And who thinks they got the largest coral of its type?
Pictures are always great :)

Benamayer said:
Following...!

That was quick lol but ya I am really interested to see the true longevity of corals in home aquariums

Lol... Man I had too much cAffeine tonight... I've been replying to like 6386 threads right now
Lol!

Benamayer said:
Lol... Man I had too much cAffeine tonight... I've been replying to like 6386 threads right now
Lol!

These are my 3 year old coral one red monticap i bought 1" frag of now spans about 7" and 3 layers and ive fragged numerous times and my pink birdnest with blue polyps also about1" now bigger than my hand with many branches these are in a 55g unfortunately my 55 is overstocked so i set up 150 which ill be moving into real soon

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120825_233042.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120825_233042.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 200
  • ForumRunner_20120825_233128.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120825_233128.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 224
danbstrong said:
These are my 3 year old coral one red monticap i bought 1" frag of now spans about 7" and 3 layers and ive fragged numerous times and my pink birdnest with blue polyps also about1" now bigger than my hand with many branches these are in a 55g unfortunately my 55 is overstocked so i set up 150 which ill be moving into real soon

Nice! Well we got a three year old. Who can do better?

Not that I think these are the oldest or biggest out there, here's a few pics of some corals that I have in my 180.
1- Red Monti, bought as a frag, now is everywhere. Have traded 2 dinner-plate sized ones like the one in the bottom of the pic. 5 years
2- Wall Hammer, was bought pretty large, but has grown over time. 7+ years
3- Torch coral, was bought as a 12 head piece. After losing a few heads here and there, is about an 18 head now. 7+ years
4- Pagoda Cup coral, was bought fairly large and has grown some, but they grow pretty slow. It's a very large 3 dimensional piece, the back side has the cup to it, pictures don't really do it justice. 7+ years
5- Toadstool Leather, given to me by a Pet-co associate as a dying hockey puck 7+ years ago. The one in the back is the original, it has fragged off at least 40 pieces over time.
6- Hydnophora, unfortunately I'm losing this one :-(, but here's a pic after 6 years, before its tissue recession. I am now losing it at an alarming rate, from the bottom up...Bought as a frag...just don't get it... All other corals are doing great, params are good, weekly PWC's...it's killing me!! I loved this coral.
Anyway, just wanted to share.

image-238198584.jpg

Hydnophora

image-2368890547.jpg

Leathers with a 5" Yellow tang, and 4+" Copperband

image-985582876.jpg

Pagoda Cup

image-1464635871.jpg

Torch coral

image-3063646892.jpg

Wall Hammer during PWC

image-1388695447.jpg

Wall Hammer

image-3587364249.jpg

Red Monti traded for Sunset Monti frag and salt.

image-2008347100.jpg

FTS

image-3760794211.jpg

I know it's not a coral, but I had to put a shot of my 7+ year old Sebae!!

Well we got some 7 yr olds now...whos gonna top that one?!

Following along. I have a 6 year old birdsnest at the shop that was started as a frag. It's about a foot wide. Still has the frag plug on it too. Lol. I'll get a pic later.

Jlsardina said:
Following along. I have a 6 year old birdsnest at the shop that was started as a frag. It's about a foot wide. Still has the frag plug on it too. Lol. I'll get a pic later.

Looking forward to it :)

Great thread, it's exciting yet daunting the time it takes to evolve into a well established reef tank, but if it was easy I wouldn't be nearly as interested. Following along, thanks for the great pics and info.

image-3199884674.jpg

Good friends of mine it's 7+ years I think even though not a coral still a good life span.

Back
Top Bottom