Who's Home Depot carries...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
The Southdown or Old Castle Play sand??

I've tried locally here in Minnesota and Notta :(
Shipping from an online source is $65 (shipping only)
Can someone please help those of us looking for the product :wink:

TIA
Doree`

Just to point out, she'll need the store number to try to arrange a store to store transfer, also she will need the sku of the sand, both the Southdown number and the Old Castle (in case it has changed). Hopefully someone will have the information ;)

I can't help with the Southdown sku, but you might also check into Yard Right Tropical Play Sand... it's aragonite just like Southdown/Old Castle.

its actually the exact same thing. its just called different names in different places.

The one in Wisconsin Dells had it this past summer, the store is right of of interstate 94. The SKU # is 9060420100 on the southdown bag.

SouthDown Sand

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster.. :wink: Today I finally found a Home Depot 2 hours away from me (Currently living in Champaign, IL) but its in the Chicago (South West) Suburb of Bolingbrook, which carries the SouthDown Tropical Sand.

It took me forever and a day to convince the Garden guy to bring it in from outside (at first he denied even having any -- Until I told him a friend of mine who works at a Home Depot, checked their inventory :twisted: . He reluctantly brought down a half pallet and I took 10 bags of the good stuff for $6.00 / 50lb bag. (That should be enough to fill a 48" 120 gallon tank with a decent 5"-7" DSB, right?) With some left over for my refuge?

The address of the Home Depot is:
Home Depot
105 N Weber Rd
Bolingbrook, IL
(630) 771-1109

160 Bags currently available, according to their inventory. I do have the SKU, Model Number and UPC in my hotmail account, but its currently unavailable for me to log in. If you want them, please email me and I'll send you whatever info you need. Hope this helps to all living around the Chicago area.

Now for my questions, this may have been covered, but some of the bags on the inside appear to have greenish blotches on the insides of the bag, is this mold or algae / seaweed? Should it be scooped out prior to use or just dump the whole bag in? Thanks for your help

Take care

Cunch

Managed to get into my Hotmail, here is the information on the SouthDown Play Sand from Home Depot.

Model Number 420100, SKU# 578-819 and UPC Code 0-90604-20100-2

Cunch

:cry: No one around here even has it in their computer. Anyone that finds it wanna send me a couple or 3 bags. I'll pay shipping.

Model Number 420100, SKU# 578-819 and UPC Code 0-90604-20100-2
As I recall from research on Southdown last year, Home Depot uses the same sku for all playsand, regardless of manufacturer.

Cunch,

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Now for my questions, this may have been covered, but some of the bags on the inside appear to have greenish blotches on the insides of the bag, is this mold or algae / seaweed? Should it be scooped out prior to use or just dump the whole bag in?

It is probably a little algae or mold from getting damp, the stuff is usually stored outside or in an are that doesn't offer much climate control. IMO, the SW will kill off anything that might have grown in it, but it wouldn't hurt to scoop it off before you use it, if your concerned. I, personally, would just dump it in ;)

Home Depot in Port Chester , NY has about 100 bags of it. Im sure they can ship it to your local HD for you. Call them up and ask them to look in their gardening section. If they look thru their computer system they dont come up with anything. The actual bag no longer says southdown on it. It just has old castle in small print towards the bottom of the bag. It seems noone that works at that home depots knows jack. I ventured on my own, and found it in the gardening section. Tell them its in the corner of the gardening section. Heres the number.
(914)690-9745

HTH,
Anthony

These stupid people couldn't find their rears with both hands and a road map. I guess next time I can go to Chattanooga or Knoxville I'll have to search myself. (for the sand not their rears).

pondmom,
I don’t have any sand info, but I was checking out your gallery and your ponds are gorgeous! I hope you get the sand soon. :mrgreen:

I talked to my local Home Depot here in Madison wisconsin..and they carry it seasonal though..only during the spring and summer..that could be a reason why some are having prob. finding it..

ReefRunner,

Thanks for the info, I was looking at it today after it thawed out and it looks like algae.... I'l just dump it in..

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info, I was looking at it today after it thawed out and it looks like algae.... I'l just dump it in..

cwm.gif
rotlaugh.gif
cwm.gif
rotlaugh.gif
cwm.gif

Sometimes I have no idea how good I have it, I live in FL and it never would have occurred to me to have to thaw sand out, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom