Why Ammonia in tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I fill up a pail of tap water yesterday and added salt to make it a correct SG, but when I measure the ammonia level today, it is presence, why tap water also have ammonia? What should I do? Then is'nt it that I don't perform water changes better still? At least my main tank got no ammonia. Any way to help on this problem?

I apologize for the above post, I made a mistake, there is no ammonia in the tap water, the problem lies with the salt. I tested the tap water but there is no ammonia, but there is ammonia with the salt mixed tap water. Why my salt creates ammonia? Is it because I don't store them properly or I bought lousy salt brand?

What Brand of Salt did you purchase??? Most Synthetic salts should not contain any ammonia.. I dont believe you stored it incorrectly unless you dumped ammonia into the bag/bucket... IMO I would probably contact the manufacture of the salts and yell at them... Having that ammonia in their salt killed half your livestock right :wink: lol I have tested alot of salts but havent found any traces of ammonia in them at all..

James

Ya it does cause a lot of my live stock died last time, but it did'nt cause my new tank any problem, btw my new tank is not using that brand for starting, I uses another kind, its just that I wanna do some water changes, so I uses this, luckily I tested it before doing the changes, if not......hahaha. I forgot the brand, because I thrown the bag away long ago, but I'll post it tomolo, I go to LFS see. Many people uses this salt without a problem, don't know why mine only, hahaha. The cost is around S$7 ( US $3.50 ), is this too cheap for marine salt?

Does your tap water get treated using chlorine and or chloramine? If so when you use a water conditioner with chloramine it splits it into ammonia and chlrine (which gets nutralized). This may be a source of ammonia. Do you add anything at all else to the water?

Ya, my tap water do have chlorine, I'm sure most country tap water do have chlorine presence to kill bacteria. I did'nt place any chlorine remover. After collecting the water from the tap to the pail, I add in salt immediately. So you mean the chlorine and the salt mix is the source of the ammonia? So if thats the case, I can solve this problem by leaving the water over night then I add salt? I'm so confuse, thanks for all reply. :D

Back
Top Bottom