Why do i still have algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm confused as to why I still have some algae. I started running a brs reactor with gfo and carbon a week ago. I left my lights off for 2 days which helped with the algae on the glass a little. I feed once a day with frozen brine or mysis or pellets. I'm careful that all the food gets eaten. My trates are 5 with weekly water changes. I leave my lights on for 7 hours ( 5 hrs 10k, 7 hours actinics). I don't understand it!!

You need to test phosphates as well. Your reactor is probably going to take another week or so. Mine seemed like it wasn't doing anything, them one day my tank was super clean. Just like everything else, be patient and give it time.

i completely understand how your feeling. i have tried everything with my cyano issue and it didnt do a thing. a phosphate test wont say anything because either the algae is eating it all up or it is undetectable, although the test kits we have arent able to measure where we need them. they tell us when things are really bad. If your not using rodi, use it now. thats the best thing to do. start feeding everyother day or everyday very sparingly. a blackout shouldve taken care of most of it. is this cyano your dealing with? i had to get the red slime remover for me, but im still doing all of the things im supposed to do. it wasnt growing so i knew once i killed it, it wouldnt start again.

I am using RO DI and I'm getting a little cyano on the sand but mostly hair. Also just green on the glass

if its hair, its a lot easier to take care of, but still not easy. i would change more water during water changes and the green you just have to live with. i think everyone gets the stuff on the wall. its easy to wipe off luckily. i would buy some chemipure elite and purigen to help reduce trates and phos.

Back
Top Bottom