Why do LFSs have low SG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arowanaman420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought my first sw fish. I had been keeping my sg around 1.023, as I thought this was in the acceptable range. When I brought my fish home, I checked the water in the bag. The sg was 1.017, well below the target range on my hydrometer. When I bought my second fish from a different store, their water tested 1.019. My dad purchased a fish that was still in the bag from the wholesaler and the sg was 1.020 on his hydrometer. Is it general practice to keep sg this low to save money on salt? Is there some other reason for this? Should I lower my salinity to avoid stressing new arrivals?

Lowering the salinity for new arrivals can definately ease stress. As far as the LFS is concerned I doubt that was their intent though. Most AFAIK do it to save money and are under the very misguided belief it helps with parasites which it does not...

However, this is only something that should be done in a QT tank not the main. Long term lowered salinity is not healthy for the fish or invertebrate life.

Cheers
Steve

So I should keep my salinity where it's at and acclimate fish slowly to reduce stress due to the difference? It appears to me that LFS around here keep consistently low salinity.

i also would think that if they dont keep up with thier top offs the salinity wont get into the danger zone as quickly. they would have some time to catch it before it got too high. if it was already at 1.024 its not too far to a dangerous level.

steve r

arowanaman420 said:
So I should keep my salinity where it's at and acclimate fish slowly to reduce stress due to the difference? It appears to me that LFS around here keep consistently low salinity.
It's actually better (and easier) to adjust the salinity of the QT to match the transport water. Then the salinity can be adjusted upwards over a period of days, not hours. Much less stressful on the fish.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom