why is my anemone closing so much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
my anemone seems to close alot but my nitrates ammonia and nitrite are all fine is there anythign else it could be

im not sure how much the ph fluctuates how would i find that out when should i test to see if fluctuate

It could be lighting, it could be water flow, it could be fish picking at it.

My cleaner shrimp likes to harass my Condy.
Sometimes it'll close up for a bit when the shrimp gets feisty.
They have a love/hate relationship.
:wink:

Mine do the same thing. I tried searching the net for answers about it but there doesn't seem to much on that particular subject of Anenomes. Usually they do it when I turn out the main lights, and leave the antinics on for a couple of hours before I turn out the lights for the night. They don't do it all the time, it is sporatic.

theres no fish picking at it and i have 5 watts per gallon so i dont think the lighting is bad i have a filter for up to 55gallon tank on a 16 gallon and it stays closed during the day alot it opens up sometimes during the day but it is usually open all night so idk

Looks like it doesn't like all that light.

To test pH fluctuation, test pH first thing in the morning, prior to, or just when, the lights come on. Then test in the evening before the lights go out.

my ph is flucuating pretty bad in the morning i tested it it was at about 7.8 at night i tested it and it was between 8.4 and 8.8 what can i do to fix this

Ouch that's a huge swing. It's normal to have a drop after the light go out, but that is a very big swing. The reason for that is most likley low alk. A water change should help. Are you dosing anything? How are you testing your PH? With a PH pen or are you using a tets kit?

im using a test kit and recently ive been doing alot of water changes trying to get my nitrate down so it hasnt been long isnce my last water change probly 2 days the only thing im dosing with right now is f.o.r.m wich is dried mud taken from reefs wich contains everything needed clacium magnesium strontium and more so idk do you know of anything i can do to fix this swing

What kind of anemone? The like different conditions as far as lighting and flow so this is necessary to try and figure out what may be bothering yours.

im using tap with a dechlorinator and the thing about what type of anemone it is im not sure because we found the anemone at the store i work at when we got an order of caulerpa it was mixed in with it at first i thought it was an l.t.a and then it opened up and it looks like a condy my clown loves it though so idk i have another post on this site that u can see a picture of the clown in the anemone if you would like to see for yourself im pretty sure its a condy though

could phosphates be causing this because im starting to think that might be a problem because my algae is starting to get out of hand even with and algae crew

new update : anemones dead along with my starfish that looked perfectly fine idk what it could be would phosphates cause this i think im going to get a phosphate test tomorrow and if its that i think im going to run another filter with some phos-x or something to absorb the phosphates n e suggestions are very welcome

Phosphates could certainly cause algae blooms...or other nutrients included in your tapwater (tapwater quality can vary greatly by location and season...anything from nitrates, phosphates, to copper could be in the water). The tap water conditioner only removes chlorine/chloramines at the most.

The anemone and starfish probably died from the PH swings in your other thread as both are very sensitive to parameter changes.

I would buy a PH probe to constantly meter the ph and a refractometer for the salinity. I dose every 2 days my reef tank with Alkalinity buffer and calcuim which keeps my ph at 8.4 day and night.

Back
Top Bottom