Wife named my bad hitchiker crab =(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have one of these having a field day in my 10g tank:

uglycrab1_low.jpg

(pic from www.tbsaltwater.com, they use it as their example of a bad crab)

The plan has long been to keep the crab right up until we get fish. The crab has so far gotten along with the Snails and Hermits in the tank. Every night, the crab goes around the tank to eat. It appears to be scraping good algae off rocks and munching on what few corals that came with my LR. It molted once, so it should be healthy.

Well, last night my wife and I were watching the crab pick at my Hidden Cup Coral and I was like, "I can not wait to give that thing back to the LFS when we get the fish." My wife responded with, "You can not get rid of Hairy!!!"

:roll:

lmao.. reminds me of how my mom named my snail hungry hermit little bastard and refused to get rid of him too...

Hairy or Harry? difference in context (loophole for you).
:lol: :lol:
Well, my daughter just named our Mantis Shrimp Tomato.

Last night I moved my tank to my new house. My wife made a big deal about getting the crab over there safely. I put all of the live rock in a bucket full of tank water, and left the one rock containing the crab for last. I put the crab rock right wedged in between two other rocks so the crab could not get out. I made 100% certain I had the crab in the rock when I put it in the bucket. When I got to the new house, the crab had evacuated despite my efforts his rock and I could not find him. I checked every rock twice, gave up, and put them in the tank. 15 minutes later...

Wife, "Where is Harry? Why is Harry gone? Did you crush him under a rock? You better not have hurt my crab!"

Looks like I get to re-aquascape the tank tonight as I check all the rocks :roll:

I got one just like it :mrgreen: . My lfs said he is an algae eater and I guess it's right. I tossed a piece of shrimp at him and he crawled to the other end trying to get away from it. :roll:

Poor guy.. I was scrolling down the list and as soon as I saw "Wife named.." I knew exactly what must have happened. Hooray for hitchiker crabs. :lol:

This crab is gonna stress me out until I catch it. I am sitting at work worrying about it :p

I like the crab too, but my wife is fanatical about it :D

i have his twin brother he was in my 20g with everything fish, snails ,other crabs for about 5 months before i even knew he was thier so i started tryin to catch him every night for a month or so untill i saw him kill a zebra hermit (my favorite one too) i was in the lfs in about 10 mins buyin a 19g bowfront starter kit for 200 bucks wich he and the rock he was in now live
the guy at the lfs told me to smash him with a rock wich made my wife almost cry

i have crabs said:
i have his twin brother he was in my 20g with everything fish, snails ,other crabs for about 5 months before i even knew he was thier so i started tryin to catch him every night for a month or so untill i saw him kill a zebra hermit (my favorite one too) i was in the lfs in about 10 mins buyin a 19g bowfront starter kit for 200 bucks wich he and the rock he was in now live
the guy at the lfs told me to smash him with a rock wich made my wife almost cry

Wow, LFS guy is a horrible businessman.

"Of course you should buy a new set-up.. look at your wife, she has her heart set on it! You must be a very kind couple, to care for and protect even the littlest creatures that come into your lives. It's not often we see people take such responsibility. ...And come see this new skimmer.." :lol:

i have crabs said:

What a horrible thing to say. I almost want to cry thinking about it...

Grimlock3000, I hope you find Harry. Is it possible that he could have gotten out of the bucket, and is in the car somewhere?

How big is he?

I have quite a few un-identified hitchicker crabs that I am trying to decide what to do with. They don't bother the fish, but we will have a problem when I start getting corals.

Back
Top Bottom