Will Base Rock Provide NNR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
With little or no (5lbs presently) of LR will I see Natural Nitrate Reduction (NNR) with base rock alone? (until I can add LR...)

I have 8 lbs of lr and 54 lbs of lbs of base rock. My trites/trates/amm are 0. How much base rock do you have, and how long has it been in the tank?

I don't have any, I am asking to see if they will provide NNR before I buy any.

The lr that you have will seed the baserock and then it will become lr over time. I don't think that it is that much time either, a few weeks or so.

I C. But yeah I'm through the cycle. Will it cause an ammonia spike tho, cause I don't want to hurt my fish or inverts.

In that case, you would probably get an ammonia spike (if the rocks are not yet cured). If you are concerned, get a Rubbermaid tub and place the them in there with a powerhead or at least some airstones. Do a water change every other day. Or, you could test the water they are curing in. If you have a spare skimmer, you could even set it up to skim the curing tub.

SW aquarium rock used as part of the nitrification/denitrification process is irrelavent in terms of live or dead base. Either will work with the same effectiveness. Both will take just as long before you see NNR nutrient depending.

Cheers
Steve

Base rock will become "live" as far as NNR within a few weeks. It won't look pretty for many months, but that doesn't matter to the biofilter

Dry base rock will need no cycle time. I just dumped mine in and it began to help the cycle. The more rock you have the more surface area that you will have to hold the denitrifying bacteria.

NNR within the rock will take much longer than a few weeks, months in fact before you see any real results. Especially until the tank matures some and becomes a bit more stable. Aerobic nitrification on the otherhand will occur in a few short weeks. There will be some anaerobic denitrification as bacteria "set up shop" in the various area's of the tank but it's benefits will be negligable on the whole.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I emailed hi rocks asking if it needs curing and Randolph Baxter said, "I suggest just rinse well before adding it as it is dusty.Thanks"

Reference what Andy said above what do you think?

Dry base rock of this type will add nothing to a cycle in terms of nutrient. The reply recieved from HiRock is exactly what should be done. There will be no issue with it otherwise. All you are adding with the dry base rock is additional surface area's for bacteria and other organism to colonize. It will only improve the tank as time passes, do not be concerned.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom