Will brown algae kill off Coraline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
With my new MH lights algae has been growing like crazy the last couple days also due to the fact that my RO unit is not here yet so its all faucet water w/ conditoner added and I only have about 15 snails currently. Should I just keep running the lights 10-12 hours and my snails can clean up when they get here this wednesday or should I reduce it until get more snails and my RO? I just don't want the brown or whatever new algae that grows to overtake and kill all the coraline on my LR

It wont hurt the coralline. Coralline has properties that make it not possible for the brown algae to adhere to it. Algae forms over the rock but corraline will actually bond to the rock and have to be scraped off. I wouldnt worry.

Once you start using the RO water, the diatoms should subside eventually. Snails will not do much as most animals will ignore diatoms for the most part. As long as you are using tap water it will continue to introduce PO4 and silicate into the tank and fuel the algae growth. This is by far more the problem than the lights. I would suggest getting a high quality PO4 granular sponge as most will also help take care of the silicates as well. The coralline will definately recover once the diatoms subside.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
I would suggest getting a high quality PO4 granular sponge as most will also help take care of the silicates as well.
Cheers
Steve

do you know what this sponge is called or what company makes them?

Back
Top Bottom